Don We Now Our Gay Apparel

After everyone had dispersed from the present opening event, Maki found herself in her research lab, frowning at her gifts. The squeaky shoes had been thrown in the trashbin tucked away in the corner, while the assault rifle was returned to its rightful place on the shelf.

She sighed. Only one more day and then Monokuma would release them...

What was she going to do when she got back anyway? She could return to Hope's Peak Academy, maybe. Or maybe the organization would make use of her skills again.

The assassin looked around her lab, lingering on all the guns and knives and crossbows and attire.

She didn't really want to go back to this line of work.

She's made friends , imagine that. Even though she'd been kidnapped and forced to participate in ludicrous Christmas events... it was fun. Training with Kaito.

And Shuichi. Obviously. The both of them. Not just Kaito...

But mostly Kaito.

A knock sounded at the door of her lab and the man of the hour poked his head inside, purple hair wildly styled as usual.

"Maki Roll, just who I was looking for!"

The assassin schooled her expression. She was supposed to be mad at him. For being an idiot with the mistletoe a few days ago. Even though he, as an idiot, wouldn't know why she was mad.

It was his own fault, really.

"Do you want to die?"

"I have a peace offering!" Kaito complained, holding up a Christmas-themed gift bag. "Monokuma didn't say we had to only shop for Secret Santa."

Maki eyed the gift suspiciously, reaching out to take it.

Kaito pulled it back with a sheepish grin, "Hang on a sec, I've got something I've gotta say."

Maki crossed her arms, expectant.

"I wanted to apologize for trying to kiss you."

Maki opened her mouth to say something rude before storming off in a dignified manner.

"Lemme finish, please!" Kaito cut her off and she glared.

"It was uncool of me to spring that on you. I promise I wasn't trying to undermine you or anything, and I won't do it again! It was unmanly to pull that type of stunt when you're new to the friendship thing. Are we okay?"

Maki's eyes softened, minutely, as she listened to Kaito stumble through his apology. She accepted the gift that was held out to her, peeking inside while she listened.

She absolutely did not blush at seeing the purple galaxy Space Ball at the bottom of the bag, cushioned by tissue paper.

She looked back up at Kaito as he finished. "You are such an idiot."

"Hey—"

Maki grabbed a fistful of his jacket lapels, yanking him down to press a chaste kiss to his lips.

"I was annoyed because I wanted you to kiss me, spaceman."

Maki's only seen that shade of red on strangulation victims, but somehow Kaito wears it endearingly.

————

Kokichi was less than enthused with his bottle cap treasure chest. Rantaro had given a comforting pat to the liar's back as he balled his eyes out, letting out a half-hearted reassurance that not all treasure was at the end of the map before dumping the unhappy supreme leader on Shuichi and fleeing.