The Red and White Striped Candy Canes

Korekiyo stabbed another kernel of popcorn with the thin needle, the end of the string coiled on the table between his arms. Tsumugi already had three long strands coiled at the end of the table, working swiftly on her fourth. Maki was also making quick work of her bowl, precisely sticking the needle through the popped corn in a way that wouldn't make the entire thing crumble. Kaito was leaned against her shoulder, peering at her hands as she explained once more how to sew the kernels without having them collapse. Kaito's previous workspace, now abandoned, littered with the remnants of his efforts.

"That's what I did!" Kaito complained.

"Obviously not." Maki responded, reaching into her bowl to pluck another kernel.

"But, I did! Watch!" Kaito took the popcorn from Maki and grabbed his needle and thread, pushing through more roughly that Maki had shown, though in the correct place. Predictably, the kernel crumbled once too much force was applied.

Maki sighed.

"Damnit!"

"Don't worry, Kaito, I'm sure you'll get it! Even someone as plain as me can do it so I'm sure you'll be at it in no time!" Tsumugi encouraged, strings of popcorn draped over her fingers as she analyzed her finished fourth strand. Kirumi had told them to make about a dozen or so to cover the entire tree in the cafeteria. But, some of the students had wanted extra to decorate their own trees in their research labs.

Korekiyo didn't understand the need, personally. Sister had never shown much interest in the holiday, so neither did he. After all, if his Sister didn't approve of it, then it shouldn't be done. Being in the hospital, the only gift she would've wanted was for her illness to be cured anyway. One of the few things he couldn't grant her...

The kernel in his bandaged hands crumbled. Korekiyo blinked down at it. Huh, I must've pushed too hard on accident.

"Do I need to go pop more popcorn?" Tsumugi asked, leaning across the table to glance into the three bowls holding the popcorn.

Maki made a sound of agreement, "Kaito destroyed all of his."

"Hey! I'm just not good with needle and thread!" The astronaut defended himself.

"Neither am I." Maki rose the hand equipped with the needle.

"You're an assassin! Obviously you'd be good with a needle. It's just a smaller sword, ain't it?"

Maki glared at him, "Do you wanna die?"

Kaito swiftly rose his hands in surrender, "Sorry, Maki Roll! But you really need to not dwell on your mistakes, you can always learn from 'em."

"That's not the point."

Korekiyo tuned out their bickering as Tsumugi collected the bowls and stood from the dining room table, disappearing into the kitchen. The candy-cane making group were suspiciously quiet.

Korekiyo surveyed his own string of kernels. It wasn't as neat as Tsumugi's nor was the popcorn as perfectly intact as Maki's were, but he liked to think he'd done a good enough job at them. He'd never heard of people covering their Christmas trees in food before. But this activity is nice and stationary so maybe Sister would've been able to do it without getting as tired. Maybe she wouldn't have been in such a horrible mood all the time if he could've shown her that she could have fun in the hospital. It could've been an opportunity to socialize with the other patients, as well.

Korekiyo twisted a kernel between his thumb and forefinger, pondering what might've happened if he'd pushed a little harder... But Sister would've been mad if he fought with her on her opinions. She was mostly right, anyway. He was only doing this now because Monokuma demanded it. And besides all the history that his classmates have shared about it is surprisingly insightful into their characters. He didn't think Tsumugi was half as knowledgeable about these traditions until today.