First Snow

Author's Note: I feel like this is written horribly. I guess I just don't do borderline crack well?? I hate how it turned out, so hopefully, someone else likes it...

PS: I didn't mean to make this all into AnakinthisAnakinthatAnakineverything + ohIhavethisadorablelittleCommanderwhoiwanttowrapinfiveklicksworthofcottonfuzzandifanyonetouchesherIwillstabthem but here I am –

This is for ReadingBlueWolf on ao3 for the Clone Fandom Events Secret Santa Gift Exchange. :D This is also for the square "drunk fic" on the 501st bingo. :)

~ Rivana Rita

The 501st is sent to destroy a base on a snow-planet when communications are knocked out. Rex has never seen snow before. None of them have. It's far from ideal, but if there's one thing their General is good at, it's making sure everyone has a good time, even when things are tough.

"Oh, what's this?!"

"No, put that down! We're not supposed to touch things."

"But what is it?"

"Put it down, Fives!"

"What do you think would happen if I drank it?"

Rex rounds the corner to where Echo and Fives are squabbling – that's nothing new for them, even if they work very well together. They're close in a way he hasn't quite seen in many other clones, but they're still new to the action.

"What are you boys doing?" Rex asks as Fives sets down a bottle of something back on the table in front of him.

"Uh, nothing sir," Fives blurts out.

Rex is about to give him a word for blatantly lying to superiors when Ahsoka's voice sounds from behind him. "Rex!"

He pauses, giving them a look before turning back. "Yes, Commander?"

"It's snowing!"

What even is snow? They talked about it on Kamino, taught a little about it, but he's never seen it before. None of them have, except probably the General. That isn't something Rex would know, though.

Rex follows Ahsoka to where she is, pressed up against the window overlooking the now snow-glazed field outside. "It never snows on Coruscant," she says, "I only saw this when I went to Ilum to get my kyber crystal."

"What's it like?" Rex asks her.

"Cold," Ahsoka says, watching wide-eyed. "Very cold. And soft."

He's never seen it before. It's... beautiful. Kamino made snow sound dangerous. They never said it was beautiful. The sky is cloudy right now, but the ground is white, and it's going to be bright once the sun comes out again.

"First time seeing it?" the General asks, appearing beside him, smiling wistfully.

"Yes," Rex replies, "We learned about it on Kamino, but never seen it."

Ahsoka nearly has her face pressed to the window's glass, and Rex tries not to stare at her too hard.

Her skin is somehow more orange than Cody's armor, and her lekku still look... He's never seen Togrutas until Christophsis. There are many species in the galaxy, and Rex can't help staring at all of them for a while.

"I'd say we set up camp," Rex says, trying to focus. The falling snowflakes are distracting. Rain on Kamino always fell at an angle, but it never just blew and swirled. They catch on the window, melting at the warmth. "The temperatures are dropping."