Preference #49 - You find out you cant have kids

A/N So, this guy apparently likes me, but idk if I like him. I've never "liked" someone before (except One Direction, but let's face it that's more than just "like". So quick question; what does it feel like to like someone in an un-platonic way?

WARNING: THIS MAY BE TRIGGERING

You find out you can't have kids

Harry: You and Harry had been married for two years, and together for almost five before that, so you knew you were ready to start having a family right after the wedding. You tried naturally for a good year after you were married, but didn't conceive. You saw your doctor and she seemed to think it would still happen for you naturally. But then another year went by. You told Harry you really wanted to have some tests done just to be sure. You were cleaning the kitchen while Harry watched some football on the TV when the doctor called you with the results. Once you heard the news and said goodbye, the phone just fell from your hands and onto the floor. Harry jumped up and came to you when he heard the noise. "Babe, what's wrong?" he asked. "That was the doctor..." you said. You couldn't find the words to express what you just heard. "Babe?" Harry asks again. "What did she say?" "I can't...I can't have kids." And once you say the words out loud, you break down. You fall to the floor just as your phone had and you cry. You can't help it. Your dream was to be a mother, and now it can never happen for you. You will never give birth to a child. Harry is right at your side, kneeling on the floor as well. He wraps his arms around you and just holds you, kissing your head and trying to get you to calm down. You explain to him the details of what your doctor said. "Okay," he says finally. "Okay?" you ask. "How can you just say okay? The last seven years of our lives-everything we ever wanted together. We can never be that happy family!" "Don't say that," Harry tells you. "I love you, (Y/N). I will always be happy with you, with whatever our family becomes. We can still have children. There's surrogacy and adoption. There are so many options. We'll get through this, babe. I know it." And he kisses you with so much tenderness, you can't help but believe him.

Liam: "I'm so sorry, Mr. and Mrs. Payne, really I am," your doctor says. "But I'm afraid there's not much else I can do for you." You both politely thank her and you and Liam walk silently out of the office and to your car. You say nothing as Liam starts the car and starts driving home. You and Liam had been married for only five months after a three year relationship. You two were finally ready to start trying for children. Your mother was the one who suggested you make sure you were in perfect health before you got going so you'd have higher chances of conceiving. You went in for some tests, and then your doctor found some abnormalities. More tests and then they were certain-you wouldn't be able to have a baby on your own, and in vitro fertilization apparently only had a 1% chance of working with you. You didn't know how to react. You couldn't imagine never having a child. And you couldn't imagine how Liam was feeling. You made it back to your house before any words were exchanged. You both seemed to go straight to the bedroom. You lie on the bed as Liam changes into more comfortable clothing. Finally he sits next to you. "How are you feeling?" he asks as he pulls you closer to him. "I don't know," you say honestly. You really can't describe what you're feeling. "It's going to be okay, you know," he says, looking deep into your eyes. "This is a bump in the road, sure, but we'll get past it." "Liam, we can't have children." "That's not true. We can have a baby that is biologically ours through the help of a surrogate," he says, using your doctor's wording. "I don't want to use a surrogate, Liam," you say, not hiding your annoyance well. "I wanted to have your children. Physically have them. Carry them in my body and give birth." "I know, (Y/N)." There is some silence. Both of you are so clearly unsure of the future. You don't know how to move forward, not even with this conversation. "I love you," Liam says finally. "I will always love you, alright? Let's just put this subject to rest for a few days. We'll stop obsessing over kids and live our normal lives. Then when we're ready, we'll figure out what we want to do, okay?" You couldn't help but laugh at your practical Liam. You were still upset but you agreed and the two of you shared a kiss before getting on with your day.

Louis: You and Louis had just gotten engaged after dating for almost four years. He was your dream man and you couldn't wait to finally start your life as a married couple. You're in the midst of planning your wedding for just about five months from now-you guys wanted to get married as soon as possible. Things were pretty crazy in your life and they were about to get crazier. Your sister just learned that she was completely infertile. Her doctor was convinced it was something genetic and recommended that you get tested as well. It was the last thing you wanted to do but your sister's words echoed in your head-"You should really find out before the wedding, so Louis can decide if he still wants to go ahead with it." You had never thought of it that way. You and Louis definitely wanted kids. But if you couldn't have them, would he still want you? Your worst fears were confirmed after a few weeks of doctor's appointments-you had the same defect as your sister and wouldn't be able to carry a child to term. You waited a few days until Louis was back from tour to tell him the news in person. You didn't know how you'd be able to tell him. He was only in your apartment for about five minutes before you just blurted it out. "What?" Louis asks. He looks very surprised, but other than that you can't detect any other emotions. You go into all the details of your condition. Within a few minutes you're in tears. "And I understand if this changes things," you tell him. "Having kids is a big part of a marriage, and now we can't do that." "Alright, hold it right there," Louis says. "Do you really think this would make a difference when it comes to marrying you? Love, I want you to be my wife more than anything. This doesn't change a thing." "Are you sure?" you ask. "I'm positive. And we'll be able to have kids. We can adopt. Or babysit all of Harry's mongrel children." You both laugh at the joke. Louis hugs you tightly. "I love you so much," you whisper to him. "I don't know what I'd do without you." "No, I don't know what I'd do without you," he says firmly. "Kids or no kids, it doesn't matter. I love you, (Y/N)." With one kiss, you know he's telling the truth.

Niall: You and Niall were married for just over a year. You had a pretty short relationship before that, all things considered. Niall proposed after a year together, you were engaged for about six months, and now here you are. You both definitely wanted children and felt like it was time. You both agreed you should look into making sure you were completely healthy. You never expected to have any trouble having any kids. All the women in your family were very good at getting pregnant, as funny as that was to admit. But it just wasn't happening for you. You and Niall were both getting very frustrated, and this situation was leading to a lot of arguments. You hated the uncertainty of the future and the stress it was adding to your relationship, so you decided to go ahead and get some official tests done to find out for sure what was up with your body. After a few weeks of sneaking around behind your husband's back, you had your answer. You weren't able to conceive naturally. And since all of the "unnatural" stuff wasn't working either, it looked like kids weren't in your future. You had no idea how you were going to tell Niall. Since things were a little tense, you just had your doctor forward all the paperwork to him and explain it herself. You waited patiently in your bedroom while Niall was on the phone, praying you would make it through this. Finally Niall joined you. He looked pretty worn out. "So..." you said. "So I spoke to Dr. Addley," he said, sinking onto the bed next to you. "And she told you." "Yeah, she told me everything." Just when you thought this was going to turn into a heated conversation, Niall started to cry. Then you of course started crying-this was not what you expected. Once you both were a little more composed, he said, "I just can't imagine how you must feel. I was devastated, but you-" "Yeah, I'm pretty devastated," you agree. "But I was worried about how you would take the news." "Well, this is it. This is our reality. And yeah, it's not what we hoped for, but we'll be fine." "Do you mean that?" you ask. "Kids were, like, all we ever wanted." "I know," Niall says shyly, "but we'll figure it out. We'll...we'll just figure it out." He shrugs with a dopey little smile. You can tell he's trying to make you feel better, and you do appreciate it. You give him a big hug, and you both immediately start discussing your other options. An issue that was once driving you apart is now starting to bring you closer together.