Chapter 1 - The proposal

"Aria it's already 9 am wake up! did you forget what today is! Wake up and come downstairs right now!! Do you hear me"

I'm awake in fact I haven't slept the whole night thinking about how my life is going to change from today onwards. I know it's just they are coming to ask for my hand for marriage and I'm not gonna get married in just 2 or 3 days but it is a big deal for me I know they are gonna say yes because they have seen me my whole life and how I've been raised up by my parents.

I shrugged all negative thoughts as I replied to my mother's shouting. Seriously she is so stressed but somewhere I know she is more relieved and excited about today.

"Uth Gaye hai hum ammi Zara rukiye 2 minute aate hai hum neeche"
(I'm awake mom wait 2 minutes I'm coming downstairs)

I did my skincare, changed into more decent clothes and then went downstairs. Everyone was doing their work, ammi was serving breakfast, baba was talking on the phone, my sister was having her food silently 'remember to ask her what happened'. And my brother I think was playing on phone.

"Woh log din ke 2 baje Tak aayenge, tum acche se ready hojao"
(They will come till 2 pm, you get ready properly)

The 'they' mentioned here are my father's bestfriend's family who are coming to ask my hand for marriage for their son. They come from a well renowned background 'THE KHANS' this is why when they asked my father about me and their son, my father didn't think twice before saying yes,

"Mom I've to go to college today why don't you understand I can't miss it. I've a really important seminar to attend regarding my career" Zehra said

"No you're not going to college and I've told this to you many times since morning I don't want anymore discussion regarding it Zehra. Waise bhi career tumhara hai seminar ke log kya help karenge tumhe"
(Anyways it's your career how would the people in seminar are going to help)

"Aapi..."

Zehra looked at me helplessly I could see she really wanted to go and one thing about her is that she will never force for anything if you say no to her then it's done no more discussion but it's about her career. I signalled her that I'll talk to mom

"Mom let her go please and it's ok I'll manage the work. humein dekhne aa rahe hai log Zehra ka isme kya kaam hai"
(They are coming to see me what will zehra do here?)

"Jao tum dono ko Jo karna hai Karo humse mat pucho"
(Do whatever you both want to do Don't ask me)

"Zehra seminar me jayegi ab humein aur koi behes nahi sunna hai" baba said
(Zehra will go to the seminar and I don't want to hear any more argument)

I looked at Zehra and smiled. She said thanks to baba and went to take her bag from her room meanwhile ammi was telling me what to do and how to get ready

"Jaldi se Zara taiyaar hona cream powder sahi se lagana aise kaali ban kar mat aajana bahar warna Jo haan karne ka sochenge woh bhi naah kardenge" Ammi said and honestly I'm used to hearing this kind of things from her, from childhood till this day, she taunts me about my skin tone it was hurtful at the beginning but now it doesn't matter. While my father was a bit reserved kind of person, always thinking 10 times before answering, my mother was the total opposite of him an extreme extrovert, never thinking twice before speaking. Their relationship was the pure epitome of "opposite attracts"

(Get ready quickly, Apply makeup properly don't come out in such an ugly state. Otherwise even if they were going to say yes, they will say no)

"Ji ammi"
(Okay mom)