fifty-two.

By the time I got my hair brushed out, I was almost ready to give up and just go to bed. My hair had been ratty and matted and took ages to get through. When my brush was finally able to get through my hair without snagging, I turned on the shower and made sure the water was nice and hot.

For the first time in weeks, I began to feel like an actual person again. I hadn't realized that something as basic as a shower could affect my mood so heavily. As I washed away the layers of sweat and whatever grime I'd let myself be covered in, I began to let myself feel something other than despair; I began to feel determination. Ominis had struck a chord when he'd brought up what Sebastian would do had the roles been reversed. I knew Sebastian well enough to know that he'd never give up on me.

It felt like it took an eternity before I finally felt clean, but I eventually washed and scrubbed enough to feel satisfied. I turned the water off and got out of the shower, wrapping myself in a plush towel. I dried off and redressed before joining Ominis and Imelda in the kitchen.

The bottles that had once littered the floor were now gone and my dishes were washing themselves in the sink. Imelda had picked up all of my clothes and was starting on washing them for me while Ominis walked in from outside.

"How can someone as small as you go through that much wine and whiskey," he asked. "I just took out five full bags to the bin."

"What can I say? I'm a woman of many talents."

"You smell better," he complimented.

"And look better," Imelda chimed in.

"Thank you. When do we leave?"

"You want to go so soon," Ominis asked.

"It's now or never. I don't want to give myself time to back out."

"I suppose now is better than never," Imelda said. "What do you think, Omi?" I cringed slightly at her nickname for him. It was too cutesy for my mood.

"I think they can both handle it," he answered.

When the three of us came to an agreement, my stomach flipped. It had been nearly two months since the attack and since I'd seen Sebastian. I'd lost weight and my clothes fit loosely around my body. My rings were almost too big for my fingers, but I refused to take them off. I knew Sebastian wouldn't know any different, but I still felt self-conscious.

I didn't speak as the three of us traveled to Ominis' home. I was too nervous and my determination was dwindling. My fingers fidgeted with my rings as I followed my two friends. They chatted happily with each other, each feeling accomplished at getting me cleaned up and ready to come up with a plan. I didn't know where to even begin with a plan, but I didn't tell them that.

As we walked up the steps to Ominis' flat, I felt like I was going to throw up. My nerves were taking over and I was actually shaking. I began regretting coming along and wished I was back home, wasted out of my mind.

"No backing out now," Imelda said as she grabbed my arm. It's like she'd read my mind. She pulled me behind her and through the doorway.

"Sebastian, we're back," Ominis called to his friend. I heard footsteps from the floor above us and listened as they walked toward the staircase. I couldn't look as he walked down the stairs.

"Hi, guys," he greeted happily. "Who's this," he asked, noticing me. I turned to look at him. Our eyes locked and I had to do everything I could to not let my legs give out from under me. I searched his gaze for any sign of recollection and found none.

"This is Althea," Ominis told him.

"So this is my wife," he asked. The words and how easily he said them surprised me.