seven.

My first week of teaching went better than I could have imagined. The returning students seemed excited to have a new professor and the first years were just excited in general. I knew the newness of it all would eventually wear off and I'd soon be treated like any other professor, but it was still nice to have such a good start.

Sebastian and I spent our breaks grading assignments so we could have the evenings free to be with each other. Our lunches didn't align, so I was only able to see him for a little while when we woke up together and then again once classes were over. The weekend had finally arrived and I was ecstatic to be able to spend some time with him.

My Friday classes had ended and I was finishing up grading quizzes from earlier in the day. Most students were scoring well, which meant I was either doing a good job getting them to pay attention to lessons, or they were somehow cheating. Being new, I could see either situation playing out.

I was comparing answers to see if cheating was a possibility when there was a knock on my office door. I rose from my desk and hurried to answer.

"Hello?" I opened the door and didn't see anyone.

"Down here, Miss Althea," a small voice said. I looked down and saw Deek.

"Deek! How wonderful to see you!" I was genuinely excited. If I weren't scared of crushing him, I would have hugged him.

"Deek is pleased to see you as well," he said with a bow. "Deek was told you wanted to see him. He's been very busy with the start of school, but he finally has a moment to visit."

"I completely understand that you've been busy. I just wanted to see how you were doing and ask a couple of questions. Please, come sit down." I invited him into my office and sat at my desk. Deek climbed up into the chair across from me on the other side. "So how have you been, Deek?"

"Deek has been very well. Hogwarts is his favorite place to be. Deek is very lucky to be here so long."

"That's great to hear! Is the Phoenix still here?" I was curious to hear how she was doing.

"Oh yes!" Deek's eyes lit up. "She still lives in the vivarium and is very happy. Professor Weasley helps Deek with her care. She has even rescued a family of Diricawls to keep her company. They get along very well."

"I'm so glad to hear that! Thank you so much for continuing to care for her, Deek. I'll be forever grateful."

"Deek is happy to have the opportunity to care for such a beautiful creature. He feels it makes up for his previous master's behavior."

"You've more than made up for his behavior. Are the other vivariums still in the Room of Requirement?"

"They are not, but they could be again should Miss Althea wish it. The room will always adjust to your needs."

"That's great to know. Thank you, Deek."

"Miss Althea is very welcome. Deek has much to do, so he must leave, but he has enjoyed seeing Miss Althea again and is very happy that she has returned to Hogwarts."

"I've enjoyed seeing you, too, Deek. I'll see you around." I gave him a smile and a wave, which he returned before snapping and disappearing from my office.

I stayed at my desk for another hour or so and determined that the students had just retained the information and that cheating hadn't happened yet. I knew I'd run into it down the line, but I was happy to know it wasn't currently the case. It made me excited to think I was doing a good job.

Once finished, I straightened up my desk and then left my office. It was time for dinner, so I quickly made my way to the Great Hall. I was excited to see Sebastian. I was able to reach the doors of the hall when an owl flew in a circle around me before landing on the floor. I looked down and saw it had parchment attached to its leg. I bent down and untied the parchment. I gave the owl a light pet on the head before it flew off.