Chapter Sixty-Three

Start from the beginning

"On what?"

"On everything. On your looks. Your treasury. Our magic. Like everything else, they all come to an end. Your daughter however, such power she retains."

"What do you mean?"

"For eighteen years, not once has she used any of the magic that flows in her veins, allowing it to grow stronger and stronger. Dare I say she's become the most powerful of all the descendants."

"Even more powerful than me?"

"Yes. But alas she knows not how to use such power nor is she even aware that she has it. Then again, considering how far you've fallen, perhaps that's for the best."

"So Mother never told her?"

"No. She feared it was too great of risk, she didn't want to see her burned at the stake or become corrupted."

"Good. I'm certain that Vagatha would never go against me but Radu did once and at times, that girl can be just like her father."

"You just better pray she never learns the whole story of her father's death."

"What does she know?"

"That same that everyone else knows. Radu died cause she wandered off and a wolf attacked her. He died saving her life. Although your mother always had her suspicions."

Just then a knock came at the door.

"Who is it?!" Desdemona snapped.

"Forgive me your majesty." The servant on the other side responded. "I know you requested not to be disturbed but the king and princess of Austria have requested an audience with you. The king says it is urgent."

The queen was just about to dismiss them, but then she recalled that the princess of Austria had recently turned fifteen. Just what she needed to temporarily her youth and beauty.

"Tell them to wait in the throne room. I'll meet with them shortly."

To hide her signs of aging, she wore gloves over her hands and a veil over her face. Afterward she entered the throne room where King Stolas and Princess Octavia awaited her. The princess was a pale and slender maiden with raven black hair, large and soft brown eyes, a sweet mouth, and white hands. Truly the perfect prey.

"King Stolas, what a pleasant surprise to see you again." Desdemona said. "And what a treat it is that you have brought your daughter this time. Such a pretty child and so young, like a kitten."

"Thank you." He said. "Pardon the intrusion, but gentry asked me to deliver a message to you."

"And what message is that?"

"They along with myself, wish to know what has become of the Princess Charlotte. There are rumors throughout this land and mine that she's disappeared and that you have made no attempt to find her."

"That is absurd. I have my entire fleet searching everywhere for her, I told them no stone was to be left un-turned. Believe me, her safety is my top priority."

"There is also talk of witchcraft in this kingdom. That you may be harboring a witch or may actually be practicing the craft yourself."

"Nonsense. Witchery is forbidden in this kingdom. An offense punishable by death. Why would I be so foolish?"

"So you deny having anything to do with these rumors? That there is no truth to them"

"Of course I do!"

But Stolas was not entirely convinced.

"If I find that you are lying-"

"King Stolas, I am the queen, I would not lie."

"I certainly hope not. I also hope that you don't have anything to do with Princess Charlotte's disappearance either. Cause if it is discovered that you are, the gentry and myself shall show no mercy."

Desdemona was furious that someone had the nerve to speak to her that way. But she knew better than to respond in rage or with threats. After all, Stolas was a king and trusted by the royal gentry. He had a higher authority than she did.

"I give you my word Stolas, I would never do anything to harm my precious stepdaughter. But since you're so concerned, why not stay here a few days and assist my men in searching for the princess? I will look after your daughter in the meantime."

"That is not necessary. I do not feel comfortable leaving my daughter in a country rumored to be harboring a witch. I don't feel that she would be safe here or in Austria, so I'm sending her to the Netherlands to stay with my sister the duchess until this dies down."

"You worry for nothing Stolas. I can assure you she would be more than safe in my care."

"Considering that your stepdaughter and daughter are not present, I think not."

He bid farewell to the queen and left the castle with Octavia to continue their journey. Desdemona was very cross that her plan to lure in another potential victim had failed. No doubt the liver, lungs, and heart of that little princess would have made her as young and beautiful as the dawn for a month. But after awhile she thought, perhaps it was better than this one did get away. After all, King Stolas was suspicious enough as it is, if his daughter was to suddenly disappear without a trace, he'd be sniffing after her like a trained mongrel.

"I have more important matters to deal with anyway." She thought to herself.

Afterward Desdemona once again descended in her secret laboratory and began flipping through her spell book for another method of killing her stepdaughter. She eventually stopped on one page that perked her interest and soon set to work brewing and concocting. With the venom of a snake, the toxins of a toad, and some arsenic, she had created a very deadly form of poison. Next she poured drops of the poison on to one of her prettiest oriental combs and chanted her wicked words.

The comb was now cursed to inject whoever used it with a poison so lethal that the victim would instantly die. It would stop their heart and cut off all blood flow. It would like the victim had merely died of a heart attack or aneurysm. No one would suspect murder, it was the perfect crime.

"One stroke of her hair with this comb." Desdemona thought, looking upon her newest creation deviously. "Just one stroke is all it takes and she'll be dead. No chance he can mess this up."