EIGHT

It had been two weeks since Jeongguk agreed to venture into an unusual relationship with V, a person who claimed to possess no feelings whatsoever. Although he had anticipated a rough and intense experience, Jeongguk found himself surprised by V's unexpected tenderness. 

Thus far, V had only involved him in criminal activities, dragging him to various crime scenes. However, their relationship had yet to progress beyond this peculiar partnership. They hadn't even shared a proper kiss, let alone fucking.

The air was thick with the smell of alcohol and the pulsing bass of the music as the party raged on. In the corner, Jeongguk sipped on his drink, the liquid burning its way down his throat. He'd had a few too many already, but the alcohol was helping to numb the anxiety that had been building up inside him all night. Everyone around him seemed to be having a good time, laughing and dancing and flirting, but Jeongguk felt like an outsider, watching from the sidelines.

He glanced over at V, the alpha who had brought him to the party, and smiled weakly. V was deep in conversation with a group of his alpha friends, their heads together as they laughed at some inside joke. As much as Jeongguk wanted to join them, he couldn't help but feel self-conscious about being the only omega in the room.

Deciding that he needed a break from the crowd, Jeongguk made his way over to the empty bar, his heels clicking against the hardwood floor. The bartender, a tall and muscular man with a knowing smile, nodded at him in greeting before pouring him another drink. As Jeongguk took the glass from him, his eyes drifted back to V, still lost in conversation with his friends.

A wicked smile tugged at the corners of Jeongguk's lips. He knew exactly what he wanted to do. Taking another sip of his drink, he set the glass down on the bar and headed for the door, making his way to the washroom. The hallway was dimly lit, the soft glow of wall sconces casting long shadows across the walls. The air was thick with the scent of perfume and cheap cologne.

As he neared the bathroom, he heard a phone conversation coming from inside the washroom. A man's voice was raised, angry and slurred. "I heard he mated with an omega now. Can you believe that? V is no longer a part of us."

Jeongguk's heart raced, his hands shaking with anger. He didn't know who the man was talking about, but it couldn't be him. He couldn't let anyone talk about V like that. With a growl, he pushed open the washroom door, revealing the man inside, his back turned to Jeongguk as he continued his heated conversation.

"V? V who? You're talking about my V, aren't you?" Jeongguk demanded, his voice laced with venom. The man in the washroom standing in front of the counter jumped, startled, and whirled around, his eyes widening in surprise when he saw Jeongguk standing there.

"Who the fuck are you?" The man slurred, taking a threatening step forward. Jeongguk met his gaze unflinchingly, his own eyes narrowing. "I said, mind your own business, omega," the man sneered, pushing Jeongguk roughly against the stall door. Jeongguk felt a sting of pain shoot through his chest, but it only served to fuel his anger.

Jeongguk grabbed the man's shirt collar and yanked him closer, his face inches from the other's. "I'll mind my business when it concerns V," he snarled, spittle flying from his lips. The man's eyes widened in fear, and for a moment, Jeongguk thought he might actually back down. But then the man laughed, a cruel and mocking sound, and shoved Jeongguk hard against the washroom door.

Rage coursed through Jeongguk's veins as he stumbled backward, his vision tunneling. In a swift motion, Jeongguk grabbed the bottle of hand sanitizer from the sink and hurled it at the man with all his might. The glass shattered against the wall beside the man's head, spraying him with a sticky film of alcohol and antibacterial gel. The man screamed, clutching at his bleeding scalp as he stumbled backward into the floorboard.