chapter 40: Gifts

It had been just under a month since I had bonded with Uroboros. The undying Hadean-level heat finally died down about a week ago and Albert's touch stopped feeling like in inside walls of a walk-in freezer.

He had taken to the Angelis virus perfectly hardly any changes except his skin tone was just a tad paler and his hair was slightly brighter as well. He stood on the balcony of our apartment. With a book in his hand, he stood out looking at the horizon. 

I sighed, I looked over at the calendar noticing the date. It was the twenty-fifth, back before we had taken our separate routes we had spent this day in the past with William and his family. My after my mother passed Chris and Claire busied themselves with either volunteer work or staying on their military base around the holidays.

Albert walked in and saw my cloudy eyes. He places his book on the left-hand side table and walks to the closet.

"I have something for you dearheart." He said walking over to the wall away from the bathroom door. He removed his glove and pressed his wedding ring on the black pad attached to the wall. A secret panel was unlatched and opened up.

"These are some relics from our past I couldn't just let go of. I was planning on giving you this sooner but your body was so hot from binding with Uroboros that I decided it was a better idea to wait. There is also something I couldn't risk Sergei taking after you told me how much it meant to you." He said pulling out a small old fruit-patterned suitcase that we had bought for our honeymoon tour of the Mediterranean.

"Wow! Now that old thing brings back some memories!" I chuckle my eyes brightening a bit at the sight of that.

He set it on the bed and unzipped the old case. The zipper broke off from the track likely due to the lack of use from over the years. Rust is prevalent on the zipper. He pulls out a box wrapped in a plastic bag. He removed the broken suitcase from my sight more than likely in the kitchen. When he walked back in he smiled and removed his sunglasses setting them on top of his book.

"Go ahead open up the package, my lotus." He said sitting next to me on the bed.

With a smile and a sigh, I ripped open the vacuum-sealed bag. Upon pulling out the box I noticed it had a familiar scent to it. It reminded me of our bedroom back in Raccoon City.

I opened the top and nearly cried when I pulled it away. It was our old sky blue and gold cotton comforter. William and Anette had bought it for us for our wedding. It was in just as good shape as the last day Albert and I had slept under it. I stuck my hands into the soft slightly scratchy only to find an even more scratchy material.

"What's this?" I ask slowly pulling out a neatly folded light yellow knitted square. At the moment I saw it, my heart nearly stopped. Yet another item I had thought Sergei destroyed. It was the baby blanket my great-aunt on my mother's side had knitted for me as a baby. I kept it with me even when I went to the Umbrella management training facility. Anette found the fact I kept a hold of it weird but Wesk never did.

"I still remember the day you told me about it, dearheart." He said removing the box and bag from the bed while pulling me and the blankets up to his chest, "The day that one girl tripped you down the stairs and you ended up breaking Marcus's favorite vase. He gave you the worst verbal lashing anyone there had seen. We were just friends at the time but I knew I had to do something."

Tears dripped down my eyes, "Yeah, I heard you told Marcus what had happened.  While I was let go from being sent on dish duty I still remember that bitch being there until she snuck into the leech lab." I said with a sigh bringing up the small knitted blanket to my face.

"I meant when I came to your dorm that night. You were sobbing and holding that blanket up to your lovely face much like you are doing right now. Do you remember what I said to you when you told me it was your baby blanket?" He asked stroking my hair and placing it behind my ear.