Chapter 21: Comfort zone

"i know
i should crumble
for better reasons
but have you seen
that boy
he brings the sun
to its knees
every night"

- Rupi Kaur

"Is this really a good idea? What if your grandma hates me, and throws me out of the house?" Sumi asked as she walked next to the boy with a confused expression

"Then you will never be welcome in my house again." Donghyuck replied nonchalantly, shrugging his shoulders.

She rolled her eyes, punching him lightly on the arm. "Yo, I am not kidding."

The boy sighed as he stopped, grabbing Sumi by the shoulders, placing her in front of him. "Calm down. My grandma is not a picky, nor mean person. Besides, I have a feeling she will like you a lot." He smirked, patting her head lovingly afterwards.

"Okay..." Sumi whispered as they continued their walk.

"I live there." The boy suddenly announced, pointing to a burgundy house in the distance.

"I like the color of the brick."

"Very exceptional taste."
He smiled, grabbing her hand out of nowhere, and started jogging in the chosen direction. Opening the door, Sumi smelled the gingerbread, which was probably coming from the kitchen. She closed her eyes to inhale the scent, but when she opened them againㅡ Donghyuck was staring at her amused, having already taken off his warm clothes.

"Should I undress you?"
Donghyuck asked in amusement, and not waiting for an answer, he reached out to remove Sumi's scarf from around her neck.

"I feel like a child in kindergarten." Sumi mumbled, taking off her jacket, then shoes.

Finishing what she was doing, Donghyuck grabbed her hand, pulling her towards the kitchen. "Grandma, we have a guest!" Boy shouted as he came out from behind the wall.

Mrs. Lee, standing in her Christmas apron, turned around with a tray of fresh baked goods. "Oh! I just baked gingerbread cookies." She announced happily, placing the item safely on the table.

Sumi gulped seeing the old lady walking towards them with a wide smile on her face. Despite the smile on Donghyuck's grandmother's face, Sumi felt anxiousㅡ the same feeling she felt around her parents, not knowing when she would be attacked with insults.

"This is Hong Sumiㅡ my beloved friend." Donghyuck uttered, patting the said girl's back encouraginglyㅡ knowing how embarrassed, and worried she must be.

Mrs. Lee looked first at her grandson, seeing the sparkles jumping happily in his eyes, then looking at Sumi, she saw the fear present in hers. The woman crossed her arms over her chest, narrowing eyes with a stern face that made Sumi even more tense than ever. Before the girl could escape from the scene, Mrs. Lee laughed loudly, and without waitingㅡ she hid Sumi in her arms. "I am just fooling around! You do not have to be afraid at all, honey."
She uttered happily, stroking Sumi's hair. "Nice to finally meet you."