Chapter 11: Risk it all

"I feel all alone
no one to call my own
I felt love once
could feel it in my soul
made me feel so whole
but my selfish desires
took their toll
so now I walk alone"

- Timothy Johnson

The late hour brought a cold wind that enveloped the girl in its arms

The late hour brought a cold wind that enveloped the girl in its arms. Sumi cursed under her breath that she forgot to bring a jacket from home, and went in only a strappy dress. She took a pack of cigarettes from her pocket to light one, but the wind did not let her as if it wanted to protect her from addiction.

"Do not worry! I am not addicted!" Sumi shouted through the wind to no one particular, shaking her head.

A few minutes later, she heard someone calling her name behind her. She did not have to turn around to know who it was.

"How did you know I would be there?" Sumi turned around abruptly, causing the boy to stand still. "Do not tell me my mom told you."

Dohee turned his head, not wanting to look his girlfriend in the eye.

She scoffed. "I thought so, you two make quite a duo, do you not think?"

"Sumi, wait. We ended our dinner badly, and I gave you time on purpose, because I knew you were angryㅡ"

"I still am." Sumi mumbled.

"ㅡdo you not think it is stupid to be angry all the time about such stupid things?"

"Do you think my interests, and future are stupid?"

"No! That is not what I meantㅡ"

"That is it Dohee. That is what it is all aboutㅡif you want a more ambitious girlㅡfind her, and leave me alone." Sumi turned her back, slowly walking forward.

"But we love each other..."
Dohee announced in a quieter, sadder voice.

The girl stood still again, and mumbled. "I do not think I do anymore."

"What do you mean?" Dohee asked as he came closer.

"Do not pretend, Hee. I do not think you feel it either."

"Iㅡ"

"I just do not know why you keep pushing? Is this another sick idea from my mother? Some kind of deal to make my life better?"

"It is not quite like that; your mother, and I would both like for you to listen things through."

"But I have listened enough for fuck's sake! I know who I am, and you know who you are. That is why we do not fit together."

"You know... I tried so hard to fix it to the way it used to be, but I cannot."

"That is the problem. You are trying too hard to create an illusion that is making both of us unhappy. The feeling should be natural, not forced. We have both become people with a purpose in life, however our plans do not line up, Dohee."