Chapter 13: Haunting past

"A broken heart feels like death,
Like you are taking your last breath.
But life is bigger and more meaningful,
So I pull myself together although it's frightful.
Time has the power to heal a broken heart,
But persevere to make sure you don't feel apart."

-unknown

Donghyuck felt tears streaming down his cheeks

Donghyuck felt tears streaming down his cheeks. He was left alone again, drowning in toxic company. Sumi, after finding out who was behind all the messages, must have thought that dealing with him was not a good idea. He was unnecessarily insulting, and teasing her, also watching his wonderful friends use violence against her.

Maybe if he did not tease her, defending her from the very beginningㅡhe would still have a friend?

Sighing under his breath, Donghyuck lowered his head, and started walking down the stairs back to the school's hallway. He felt that everything was getting out of control, he could not keep his emotions in check any longer. Feeling that he did not care, he made a dangerous move, knowing full well what it portended.

Donghyuck walked towards one of the lockers that belonged to Jiwoong, entering the code on the padlock that he knew by heart. Opening the locker, he took out ten blunts that
he had recently rolled by himself, and a full bottle of whiskeyㅡwhich Jiwoong kept for an occasional day. Then walking to his locker, he pulled out his backpack, placing the items inside, closing it, and tossed over his shoulder.

The boy's walk home was so fast that Donghyuck realized that he had reached the house right at the entrance. Taking off his shoes, he greeted his grandmother with a short 'hello', and ran upstairs. Before escaping, Mrs. Lee stood at the bottom of the stairs, looking at her grandson expectantly.

"How was school?"

Donghyuck stood on the last step, gripping the railing tightly. "I met her."

"And how did it go?" Mrs. Lee asked, seeing in her grandson's face that something had obviously gone wrong.

"She ran away from me."
And before Donghyuck could burst into tears, he fled into the roomㅡ slamming the door behind him.

Mrs. Lee sighed sadly, used to her grandson's aggressive outbursts, or his distressing crying spells. The boy was a walking sponge who absorbed everything that happened around him. The old lady knew that it was better to leave him alone for some time, so that he could think things through, and then talk calmly. That is exactly what she did.

After about two hours, Donghyuck came out of the room with his eyes red, and swollen from crying, stumbling a little due to the amount of alcohol he had consumed.

Mrs. Lee poked her head out of the kitchen, seeing the boy walking towards the couch. Shaking her head, she stood up, and boiled some water, taking two mugs from the cupboard. After pouring water into the cups, Mrs. Lee went into the living room, sitting next to the boy on the couch who looked completely drained of emotions. She placed a mug on the table in front of him, catching his attention.