Chapter 17: Would you help me?

"All paths lead to you
Hill-top or low,
you are the white birch
In the sun's glow."

- Blanche Shoemaker Wagstaff

Donghyuck stood in line in the cafeteria, wiping his sweaty palms on his pants

Donghyuck stood in line in the cafeteria, wiping his sweaty palms on his pants.  While waiting for Sumi, he thought about how Younghoon practically acted as if the boy did not  exist. Expecting him to send him hostile glances, or immediately confront him with threats, he was surprised to see such a change.

"I am here!" Sumi replied, appearing at the boy's side, ruffling his hair. "What are you thinking about?"

"Younghoon acts like I never existed."

"Maybe that is a good thing?"

"Believe me, it is suspicious."

"Do not torment yourself with thoughts." Sumi patted his back, moving forward in line.

Once they both had food on their tray, Sumi walked towards her table where she always sat with her friends, and Donghyuck followed her with an uncertain expression.

"Are you sure? I do not want to cause any problems."

"Of course I am. There will not be any problems, I will take care of it. You will be part of our pack now."

When Sumi stopped in front of the table, Minjae, and Yuta gave her big smiles, but when Donghyuck reached her side, Yuta's smile faltered.

"Guys, this is Donghyuck. Donghyuckㅡ this is Minjaeㅡ" She said pointing to the girl who gave him a small smile.  "ㅡand you already know Yuta." The said boy did not take his eyes off, still having doubts about him.

"Yuta, please be nice."
Sumi asked, noticing his baleful glare.

"All right." He blurred, starting to eat.

Donghyuck, and Sumi sat next to each other, eating their meals in silence until someone interrupted.

"What is your major?"
Minjae asked suddenly, looking at the newly arrived member of their group.

"Physics. I hate it." Donghyuck replied, looking down. He felt embarrassed being in new company, especially since someone did not want him there.

"Why do you not change to something else?"

"It is too late, besidesㅡ after high school I will choose music path, so I can focus on it completely."

"He wants to be a songwriter." Sumi interjected, giving a happy smile to cheer him up.

"Exactly."

"That is great! We also write lyrics, and compose songs! You should join our little band." Minjae announced excitedly, patting Yuta on the shoulder. After a moment of silence, Donghyuck looked at Yuta and tried to ease the tension between them. "So um, Yutaㅡ how are you doing nowadays?"