Chapter 22.

Hsu Kai sits on the sofa with his face in his hands. He don't know how much longer he should wait. It feels like eternity to him. Every second that passes by feels like a year. He has never thought that Yu Tung would get shot. Hsu Kai realizes that Yu Tung is still human as well, no matter how much planning Yu Tung is able to do, things can happen that ruins it.

He hears the sound of the door from his bedroom opening. Hsu Kai immediately shot up from the sofa as he turns around. "Jiang Rui. How is he? Is he going to be fine?" Hsu Kai asks with worry in his voice.

Jiang Rui removes the bloody gloves on his hands. "It looks like he's dead." Jiang Rui answers nonchalantly.

Hsu Kai could feel his knees getting weak from those words. He don't know how to react to the news. "A-Are you serious?" Hsu Kai asks. He didn't know that his happy life would have ended with his mistake. He should have pulled the trigger when he got the chance but instead, he took the time to drink in Zhang Teng's emotions.

Hsu Kai feels like he is unredeemable to Yu Tung.

Jiang Rui lifts a brow at Hsu Kai. "I said he looks dead. Doesn't mean that he's dead. He just looks like it." He answers simply.

Hsu Kai runs up to Jiang Rui and grabs onto his collar. Hsu Kai slams him against the wall. "Don't you dare make a joke like that again. I will kill you." Hsu Kai threatens his brother.

Jiang Rui's expression couldn't be read by Hsu Kai but he could tell that Jiang Rui is full of curiosity. "I didn't expect one of your boys to call me. He sounds desperate like you are right now. I thought you were injured but I was wrong. I wanted to torture you myself when you wake up for still being in this stupid gang of yours."

Hsu Kai releases Jiang Rui's collar and takes a step back. "I'm sorry for taking that pleasure away from you." Hsu Kai turns away as he walks towards the room.

Jiang Rui grabs onto Hsu Kai's wrist, preventing him from taking a step closer to Yu Tung. "I didn't say you can see the patient."

Hsu Kai pulls his wrist away from Jiang Rui's grasp. "What? Why?!" Hsu Kai raises his voice. He wants to see Yu Tung. He needs to see Yu Tung. He needs to know is Yu Tung is going to be fine.

"Not until you answer some of my questions." Jiang Rui answers. He sees Hsu Kai regaining his composure. Hsu Kai stares at him, patiently waiting for Jiang Rui's question. "Is he part of your gang?"

"No." Hsu Kai answers and turns away from him but Jiang Rui grabs onto his wrist once more.

"If you don't sit still and answer my question, I'm undoing everything I did to help the boy in the room." Jiang Rui threatens. "Who is he?" Jiang Rui asks, notices that Hsu Kai has the same exact ring that he saw on the boy that he was helping in the room. Jiang Rui could already tell that the boy in the room is someone important to Hsu Kai.

"Yu Tung." Hsu Kai answers. Hsu Kai didn't know why but just saying his lover's name hurts him. "He's Yu Tung. He works at the office in the company."

"The so called fake company that you make up to fool the authorities about your money?" Jiang Rui asks. Hsu Kai nods in return. "Did you shoot him yourself or did something else happened."

"Why would you think that I'd shoot him?!" Hsu Kai raises his voice. "I'd never hurt him. Never." Hsu Kai's voice got soft at the last word he said.

"From the ring, I can tell that the two of you are together. It's a big surprise for me. I'd never thought that you'd actually find somebody." Jiang Rui replies. "Someone who is not in the gang. I can tell by the way you brought him up into the apartment and the way you're talking to me right now that you've changed."

Hsu Kai knew he changed but he is unsure if it's for the better or for worse in his brother's eyes. Hsu Kai keeps silent.

"You don't seem like the boy who throws tantrum anymore. You seem to mature a little bit." Jiang Rui points out. "Just to ease your mind, Yu Tung is fine. Lets go in and see him together."

The two boys walks into the room to see Yu Tung on a bloody bed. Hsu Kai stands at the door, seeing Yu Tung nearly lifeless with his body and shoulder wrapped up in bandages and a oxygen mask on his face. Jiang Rui scratches the back of his head. "I'd love to move him to a cleaner bed but-"

Before Jiang Rui could complete his sentence, Hsu Kai runs towards Yu Tung with his knees on the floor. He do not care for the blood drenched bed. He just needs to Yu Tung to know that Hsu Kai is by his side. "Yu Tung." Hsu Kai calls out, holding onto Yu Tung's hand. "I'm sorry. If only I was the one to be on the bed instead of you."

Jiang Rui keeps silent. He don't know how the two of them got together but he knew that they definitely have a big history together. "He should wake up after a day or two. He lost quite a bit of blood and the bullet manages to miss all his vitals. He just needs some monitoring."

Hsu Kai turns to Jiang Rui. "I'll pay you double. No. Triple of your pay if you can help me. Stay over. Monitor him for me. I'm not as good as you when it comes to this kind of thing. Please."

Jiang Rui lets out a sigh. "I have to work tomorrow."

"I'll pay you five times if it's not enough. I know I don't usually do this but please. I beg you, Jiang Rui." Hsu Kai begs.

Jiang Rui contemplates his decision and he lets out a breath. "Fine. I'll do it." Hsu Kai smiles and nods at him before turning his attention back to Yu Tung. "What did he do anyway for you to love him this much."

"He saved my life. I'd be damn if I couldn't save his." Hsu Kai answers, not taking his sight away from Yu Tung.

Jiang Rui could already pain the picture of what happened after that. He is glad that Hsu Kai finally found someone he can settle down with and never in Jiang Rui's life that he'd see his brother fall in love. "Since we're here. Why have you been ignoring my messages?" Jiang Rui asks. "Then all of a sudden this call."

"You're the only person I can trust to do things quickly with precision. That's why I called you." Hsu Kai answers.

"So, about my messages that I've been texting you. Let me take a quick guess. You're still mad at me for calling you childish for starting up the gang and scolds you for not getting a proper job." Jiang Rui replies with a snide smile.

"Yeah." Hsu Kai turns to Jiang Rui. "I might reconsider getting a normal job once Yu Tung gets better."

Jiang Rui leans against the wall, looking at Hsu Kai giving his undivided attention to Yu Tung. "I was only mad that you get to do the things that you want to do and I'm stuck in school and forced to be a doctor. We haven't talked in so many years and when I got that call, I fear for the worse."

"I should have replied you." Hsu Kai answers, his voice full of regret.

"Don't be. You get the love of your life, do the things that you want and get lots of money from it. Your job don't even have a fixed amount of hours to work in a day." Jiang Rui jokes.

"If I were to get a normal job, I wouldn't have put Yu Tung in this position." Hsu Kai strokes Yu Tung's hand with his thumb.

"But you wouldn't get to meet him." Jiang Rui replies. "Life works in weird ways." Hsu Kai keeps silent. He knew that Jiang Rui is right. Jiang Rui puts his hand on Hsu Kai's shoulder. "I have to go get some extra oxygen tanks for your boy. I'll be right back." Jiang Rui informs.

"No. I'll get someone to get it." Hsu Kai immediately takes out his phone. Jiang Rui watches Hsu Kai types on his phone and puts it back into his pocket. "I'll get some people to deliver it. It should be here in a few hours."

Jiang Rui lets out a yawn. "You're efficient all of a sudden." Jiang Rui praises. "Well, at least that's done. Let's get him onto a fresh new sheet and possibly bed. I'm not sure if the blood has soaked into the mattress."