The direction of the inn kept emitting a tremendous burning sound and the fire illuminated half of the sky. The snow piled on the walls and roof tiles, exuded a layer of red light. Yaoying seemed to be able to feel the flames burning in the distance, and her cheeks were burning hot.

While she was worried about Xie Qing's safety, she was also thinking about whether Haidu Aling might have other schemes and plots. Lost in thought, she didn't know how long it had passed before the sound of horse hooves suddenly stopped.

They stopped in front of a secluded house with two lights hanging on the porch.

  The lights flickered, and someone stood in the shadow under the hood. Hearing the clatter of horse hooves, the person quickly came out to greet them. He was one of the soldiers who had stayed behind to guard the post house.

  The soldier first saluted respectfully and whispered a few words in Sanskrit.

  Sultan Gu nodded and dismounted first.

Yaoying and he were riding on the same horse. As soon as he moved, she suddenly felt a void behind her back, her body was swaying and tumbling downward.

       The guard's mouth dropped open.

Yaoying was drowsy, her whole body went weak, and she was struggling to stabilize her body. She was already falling while thinking vaguely: There is a thick layer of snow on the ground, so it wouldn't hurt if she falls, right?

Her arm suddenly tightened, and a pair of hands wearing leather gloves firmly grasped her shoulder, preventing her from falling.

Yaoying felt Sultan Gu's thin yet strong fingers holding her shoulders, his chin resting on the top of her head, and a cold medicinal scent emanating on his body.

The next moment, she threw herself into his arms.

Sultan Gu thought she had slipped again, so he helped her stand firm and immediately about to retract his arms that held her shoulders. But she followed his movements and fell forward again, leaning her whole body against his arms, struggling. She tried to get up but she was weak and powerless.

Sultan Gu furrowed his brow lightly, looking down at Yao Ying, meeting her slightly flushed eyes.

She blushed, her gaze hazy, her shoulders trembling slightly, resembling a pear blossom, delicate and vulnerable, yet captivating. Feeling pity when you saw her.

The guard stared at Yao Ying in astonishment, "Regent... Princess Wenzhao, she..."

Sultan Gu scooped up Yao Ying and swiftly walked into the courtyard.

"She's sick." He thought this was another attempt to probe.

The guard was stunned for a moment. By the time Sultan Gu had carried Yao Ying into the courtyard, the guard regained his senses, he led the horse to the porch, turn around to lock the door and then followed into the main room. But after thinking for a while, he didn't enter the inner chamber. He stood outside the screen, waiting with his hands hanging down.

Sultan Gu quickly walked into the inner room of the south courtyard, put down Yao Ying. He lowered his gaze, gently rolled up her sleeve, and placed his fingers on her fair wrist that was exposed.

Yao Ying experienced a brief sensation of heat and then cold, she was gently shivering.

Sultan Gu observed the fine sweat beads on her forehead and withdrew his fingers. He rose up and walked around the screen to the outer chamber, asking the guard, "Has everyone left the city?"

The guard clasped his hands and replied, " Back to the Regent, just now at the inn, the guards and dancers suddenly attacked the little prince Jinbo.  The commander followed the general's instructions and protected the little prince. He fled the city first for fear of more assassins. Only my subordinates and Alanruo were ordered to wait here for the regent."

............

Before entering the city, Sultan Gu instructed that if anything went awry, everyone should first evacuate the Gaochang Royal City. If the city was under martial law and there was nowhere to go, they could assemble in the courtyard, where Alanruo was in charge.

That night, after Sultan Gu and the others left, the dancer who was dancing in the hall of the post house suddenly shook her arms, slipped out a sharp dagger from her sleeves, and rushed towards the drunken Jin Bo. Jin Bo's guards reacted and drew their swords to protect him. Blood splattered everywhere, chaos ensued and the place was full of swords and clashing blades. The Hu onlookers who was watching the singing and dancing, was so frightened that they ran away cursing and screaming in confusion.

Seeing that Jin Bo was about to die tragically under Hu Ji's sword, Xie Qing immediately drew out his sword and rushed out, saving Jin Bo. Xie Chong and other guards helped subdue the other dancers.

The blood almost splattered to Jinbo on the spot, nearly facing death. He was trembling and still intoxicated, tightly grasped Xie Qing's hand and shouted, "Thank you so much for saving me, this brave man!"

Xie Qing, with a stern expression, pushed Jinbo away, and the nearby guards laughed heartily.

At that moment, another unexpected event unfolded: one of Jinbo's guards suddenly swung his blade at his own master. Everyone on the field was stunned, and then more Northern Rong guards rose up. Taking advantage of everyone's daze, they raised their knives and killed their companions. Heads rolled, and blood painted the ground.

JinBo was slashed with a knife and blood spurted out. This time he was completely sober and screamed in fright.

Meanwhile, outside the post house, the sound of galloping hooves and the tension of bowstrings could be heard. The Hu merchants had already scattered and fled.

Xie Qing and others looked at each other, suspecting that the guards around JinBo might have betrayed him, and they also had helpers. The post house was not a place to stay for a long time. Without any hesitation, they grabbed the prince and rushed out.

  The soldiers stayed behind to remind the people on the royal court's side to escape from the city. They burned the post house to warn Sultan Gu and others, lest they fall into the trap of their opponents when they returned.

............

Inside the main house, only a single oil lamp was lit, casting dim light that couldn't fully illuminate the patterns on the folding screen.

Sultan Gu, upon hearing a brief report from the guard about the night's events, asked, "Are there any maids in the courtyard?"

The guard hesitated, then shook his head, saying, "The courtyard has been under the watch of Alanruo. Apart from him, there are only a few horses and two camels; there are no other people."

Sultan Gu fell silent for a moment before instructing, "Bring some hot water."