CHAPTER 24 : Clinging to Trends

The familiar announcement sound of the fresh food truck, known and understood by the locals as 'Poompuang Truck', floated on the breeze into Kan's ears as he was sleeping soundly after staying up late last night binge watching series. He was startled awake and blinked groggily. Actually, he wanted to go down and buy some fresh vegetables and pork from the Poompuang Truck to stock up in the fridge to use for cooking instant noodles late at night while he's watching movies. But his body was too lazy to get out of bed right now.

He reached over to grab his mobile phone that he had tucked under his pillow after watching TikTok videos until he was enthralled last night. When he started feeling sleepy, he didn't want to get up to put his phone anywhere else, afraid he might lose the sleepy feeling. So he stuffed it there.

The bright mobile screen made him squint slightly, as his eyes were still not adjusted to the light. But after letting his eyes adapt for a bit, he was able to stare at the phone screen fully once more.

"Huh?" Kan couldn't help but be curious when he saw the Instagram notification message from Book.

'What are you doing today? Let's go get something to eat.'

"And he's inviting me out this early in the morning," Kan grumbled before typing a reply.

Actually, he had been quite free these days. After the series ended, he tried auditioning for other series many times but never got a role. It discouraged him a lot, but he believed in perfect timing, so that still gave him a tiny bit of hope to continue on this path.

After replying to Book's message, Kan sat up in bed. At the moment, his phone screen was still full of TikTok videos, as usual. Lately, he has become obsessed with watching these short clips because they make him feel quite relaxed. Especially all the endless funny videos that kept appearing for him to see. Until Book's message popped up, disturbing him again.

Book: You are free, right?

Kan: Yes, free, P'.

Kan: Not doing anything.

Book: Okay, let's meet up.

Book: Miss you; I haven't seen you for awhile.

Kan: Where? What time? Tell me.

Book: Ok, let me find a place first.

Kan: Got it.

Kan put his phone down before immediately heading downstairs. The Poompuang Truck was still parked there when he walked out front. The neighborhood aunties were standing around the truck to buy ingredients for cooking meals. He browsed a bit and saw some vegetables he wanted to eat, but didn't buy them because he thought he'd have to go out with Book and might come home late, not cooking at home today. So he chose to walk over to the takeout restaurant at the front of the village instead.

"I'll have the crispy pork stir-fried with spicy sauce," Kan said to the vendor, who was busy stir-frying the previous customer's order in front of the stove.

"Wait a moment, dear," the auntie replied, her voice raspy from the hot wok making loud sizzling noises that filled the area. It made Kan even hungrier than he already was. Though he wasn't very hungry earlier, hearing these sounds made his digestive juices start flowing right away.

Grrr...

Kan rubbed his belly when he heard it growling. Luckily, the auntie was too busy with the stove to hear his stomach's noises. Otherwise, he might have felt even more embarrassed.