Chapter 58: Be Careful. Don't Die.

Start from the beginning

"Thank you Pixy for all those late night pep talks and tough love."

"It's what a bestie is for! And thank you Min for seriously everything, all your teasing and jokes and care. Be safe."

"That's what she said!"

"That doesn't even make sense!" Evelyn laughed as tears slid down her face.

He pulled away and shrugged, and then grined down at her.

"Remember that time you got drunk with Gally?"

"Not really." She said swatting at tears, "I think that's what drunk is."

"Well it was hilarious, and when we get outta this hell, were getting drunk together and gonna give Newt a run for his money."

"Deal. Also, definitely more sleepovers and late night snack eating!"

"Shucken rights!" He grinned, then it slid off his face into a serious look, "I do love you Pixy, thank you for being my best friend. Newt can suck it-"

"Now that's what she said." Evelyn giggled threw more tears.

Minho threw his head back and let out a loud belly laugh.

"There it is!'

"That's what she also said!"

Minho laughed even harder. He had tears leaking down his face now. Evelyn smiled.

"Your making this too easy Min!"

"That's what she said!" Minho gasped between his laughter.

"That's what Tessa said! She's been awake what... 3 days?" Evelyn raised an eyebrow at him, and swatted his arm. Minho grinned slyly at her and winked. Evelyn rolled her eyes. Minho squeezed her shoulders.

"I heard all about it." Evelyn grinned back.

"I'm sure you did." He waved a hand dismissively, but his cheeks went slightly pink.

"Head up soldier."

"Fiesty little Pixy."

Thomas slid up looking sheepish. Evelyn turned to Thomas. He awkwardly held his arms out and she stepped into them. She hugged him tight.

"I owe you my life Thomas."

"Thanks for not hating me."

"I could never hate you. Tommy."

"What? Did you just call me..?" He pulled away looking shocked.

"Yes Tommy. I did."

He grinned at her, making him look like an over large excited toddler. Making her chuckle. She squeezed his arms.

"Us next! Us next!" Jeff and Clint came bounding over, and wrapping her up in a group hug.

"Oh boys!" She chuckled, "I would have gone absolutely shucken crazy if it wasn't for you two!"

She pulled away just enough to see them properly, placing a hand on each of their cheeks. Looking back and forth between them.

"Seriously. Both of you jumped in and saved my life and sanity." She smiled sadly at them

"Awww Evy. It was a pleasure to work with you!" Clint smiled at her.

She had no words, her heart was a mixture of love and fear. She loved all these boys, and remembering them all, all the good times laughs. But the fear of what they were going to attempt flooded back and the knot grew in her chest, it made her feel sick. She just pulled the boys back into another group hug. She pulled back from the group hug with yet another small smile, she excused herself having seen Alby sulking over to the side, away from the main group of the Gladers, alone. Alby picked at the string of his bow while he stared at the ground. A quiver of arrows hung over his shoulder. Evelyn felt a rush of worry that somehow Alby was unstable, that somehow he’d screw everything up. She shook her head to rid herself of those thoughts; yes he was unstable, but that was not his fault.