|152| Fire is My Witness

Fire is My Witness
by John Kenneth Cyril Sy

Never to be seen, to depend on something I don't deserve, wounding my kin, putting gas on the fabric of my skin. To be seen is to flick disgust to the viewer. A tragic way to die is to let a dark gown burn your soul, then step onto your shameless grave...

Light is a teenager living in a small town in Lagos. Her family just moved in a month ago. She's as gorgeous as a rose; her skin is beautiful, especially when touched by the sunlight. Her eyes can see a million miles away, her mind can think ahead of time, and her beauty is magnificent. Light's parents have just got a divorce. Her father was a convicted murderer; that's why they had to move. She is healing from trauma after seeing her father sent to prison in a courtroom. She is living with her mother, who happens to be selling alcohol.

However, despite her perfection and brilliance, some people love to tease her. Alex, Finn, and Rein are best friends living in the same town as Light. They call themselves the three judges, famous in their town. They have been making Light's life miserable since she moved in.

It was a scorching afternoon. Light is helping her mother stack the alcohol they sell when suddenly a gallon of alcohol falls on her head, resulting in her dress and hair soaking wet with alcohol. Her mother jokingly said, "At least you're not gonna get infected by the virus." They both laughed so hard that a smaller bottle fell onto her feet again. This time her mother told her to go home and get changed.

On her way home, Light saw Alex and her friends. Usually, she ignores them because they have a history of bullying. Only this time, it will be different. Alex had an idea that she, Finn, and Rein would pull a prank on Light.

As Light was walking down the street, Alex suddenly hugged her. Alex stunned Light by deceiving her with a hug despite Light being soaking wet. She was holding a bottle of gas, and Finn was holding a lighter. She poured the gas onto her feet, and Finn threw the ignited lighter onto it.

Light caught on fire in a matter of seconds. The three judges didn't notice the smell of the alcohol. As Light was burning, she didn't scream. In her head, she was thinking of something.

"Is this the end? Am I meant to be the roots of a flower? Never to be seen, to depend on something I don't deserve, wounding my kin, putting gas on the fabric of my skin. To be seen is to flick disgust to the viewer. A tragic way to die is to let a dark gown burn your soul, then step onto your shameless grave. Maybe I am a root, not meant to be touched by the glaring sun or the heat of a just-fired gun. They knew I couldn't survive a thousand degrees, but they didn't just burn my ashes to the ground. They enkindled rage and bliss."

When Light opened her eyes, everything felt different. She had no wounds, no burns, not even a scratch. The only difference was...

Light was in a courtroom sitting on the witness stand. She looked at me as I asked her about the gas bottle and lighter she was holding as she watched three students burn. She said, "They deserved it."

"No further questions, your honor," I said.

The End