CASSIOPEIA #2

I was not surprised that the police made it faster to my bedside than my mother, but I was not judging it either. My mother was who she was. She had her own demons she struggled with.

Besides, the officers interrogating me were quite nice. But they were also irritated to find out that I wanted them to stop finding the driver of the car that had hit me what seemed like years to me.

They could not understand why somebody would want to drop charges. Furthermore they made it clear to me that it was not my business to end the prosecution. I just smiled and told them that I had nothing to say anyways. So they finally left.

Some hours later, I must have slept for a while, I saw somebody in a distant corner of the room. It was mom.

When our eyes met, she hesitated for a second, like she was not sure what to do next, then she rushed to me as happy as she could bring herself to appear.

"I am so glad that you are back", she said. She took my hand, looked at me and then she asked, "How do you feel honey?"

"I am not sure. But I think, great. Somehow?!"

"I already thought, I would not be able to speak to you again, ever. I already pictured myself in this scenario, where the doctors ask me, if I wanted to stop the machines keeping you alive, you know. I even thought about buying a black dress for the funeral. But I am glad, that I can choose a brighter color now. You know, black has never quite been my color."

"What is it?" she asked in an obviously annoyed manner, when she recognised that I was laughing.

"Have I said something funny?"

"No, mom. All is well. Could you please do me a favor and get me some nice clothes from home that I can wear?"

"But what do the doctors say?" she asked.

"I don't know, but I think I was here long enough, and it's time for me to get out of this place."