JASON #8

My heart started to bump loudly when I entered Greensboro Road in Hanover. When I stood in front of the door, where Jenifer Brown allegedly lived, my hands began to sweat as well.

As I couldn't find a bell, I knocked hesitantly. There was a part of me that hoped that nobody would open. So I waited for two minutes until I tried again.

When I heard somebody open the door, I was about to run away, but then I thought of Una and stayed.

"Yes?" I heard a voice say getting me back from my train of thoughts. There she was: Cass's mother, waiting for me to tell her the reason for appearing on her doorstep.

At this moment I realized that I had forgotten to think of a good story. So I came up with the worst white lie people used, when invading other people's homes.

"I am a journalist doing some research on this town and its people and you were chosen randomly. Have you got a few minutes?"

While Jenifer thought about her answer, I studied her. Her face seemed to be so average and grey that I even forgot her looks while I was still scrutinizing her.

She tried to smile, but she shouldn't have, because what I saw were rather fangs than human teeth.

"Come in", she said and ushered me into a living room that looked like a page of an IKEA catalogue. Only that everything was so dark that I had problems identifying any objects.

"Want some coffee?"

I only nodded my head, sitting down in a black hole of a sofa. I was relieved not to be sucked into oblivion.

While she was pouring a dark red fluid into my cup, she began to speak: "We know why you are here, don't we?"

I was so baffled that I almost didn't recognize that the chocolate chips of the cookies I was taking were moving. Actually they had little legs. Because the cookies were full of little bugs, crawling around everywhere.

Sweat was running down in streams from all my pores.

"Where is Cass?" I blurted out in panic.

"Well", she answered with disgust, "there she is!" pointing at my lap.

When I looked down I saw a human head, savagely severed, eyes missing, maggots swarming their sockets.

Then the lips started to articulate in a coarse voice, "Why did you do that Jason?"

That was when I woke up.