Chapter 47 : Accusations

Start from the beginning

"The break-in." I hold up a hand. "Don't worry, you won't have to talk to them until tomorrow, I told them you were still in shock."

"Thank you."

"Will you be up for it? Say, at ten a.m.?"

"Yes, of course."

"I thought you'd be resting." I look at my watch. "Dinner should be here in a couple of minutes."

The apartment building had an in-house chef service exclusively for residents but I don't want to take any chances. For Olivia's meals, I've instructed my security detail to get takeout from a random restaurant for each meal.

"I tried to take a nap." She smiles sheepishly. "Kate gave me some tea to help calm me, but it didn't take."

"Would you like me to sing you to sleep?"

She scrunches up her face, pretending to think it over. "Maybe later."

I nod. "Good call."

"Do you mind if I hang out here? I know I can't talk to my friends, but it's driving me a little nuts."

"Yes of course. I'm sorry, but we have to take precautions. It's only for a couple of days." I'm not optimistic so much as determined to get to the bottom of this soon.

"I know, it's fine."

"All the streaming programs are available on the TV. If you need any books, coffee, or personal items, just let Rosa know. You have her number, right?" I assigned two of my security detail to take care of escorting Olivia and get her what she needed.

She's settled on the couch and is browsing through the selection of a streaming service. "Yes. And I'll only use the burner phone you gave me."

"We're going to sort this out soon, all right? And everything will get back to normal."

"I hope so. You really have better things to do than babysit me."

"Nobody else knows about this apartment." I give her a wry smile. "So you're only getting either Kate or me."

"You don't have to stay, Raul. I should be all right here."

"Olivia." I get up and sit beside her on the sofa. "It's very important that you don't leave this apartment."

She gives me a pained look. "I know. I'm sorry I left the hotel, that was really stupid. I'm going to stay put until this mess is cleared up, I promise." She put a hand on my arm. "Please believe me."

I give her hand a reassuring pat. "I believe you. And you were right— it wasn't safe in your apartment. Whatever happens, it helps to listen to your instincts."

"I feel safe here. With you."

She leans closer, and in her eyes, there's a look I recognize. Vulnerability and desire. An intoxicating combination. And a dangerous one.

"Do you trust me, Olivia?"

"Yes. I trust you with my life."

My phone which I'd left on the end table rings. I pick it up and glance at the caller ID.

"Who is it?" Olivia says.

"Dinner." I answer the call. "Yes, come on up, Rosa."

"I'm not that hungry," Olivia says when I end the call.

"You need to eat. I got us some Italian. I thought we'd have some wine with it."

She smiles. "I'd love some wine."

***

Katelin

The next morning...

"Good morning, Ms. Kate," Mrs. Evelyn White greets me cheerfully. She sets down the pot of coffee on the breakfast table.

I eye the single place setting on the pale gold tablecloth. "Has Mr. Marin left?" I ask, trying to sound casual.

"He didn't come in last night." Mrs. White shakes her head. "Mr. Raul works too hard. It's not healthy."

I avert my gaze as I spread my napkin over my lap. There's a cold weight in my chest I try to ignore. "No," I say lightly. "It's really not."

So there really wasn't any point in waiting up for Raul last night. I stayed up until eleven, expecting him to knock on my bedroom door when he got in. There was no knock, no sign of him. I had the urge to check in his bedroom in case he'd fallen asleep and forgotten to check in on me, but my pride wouldn't let me.

"Now that you're working again, I hope you remember to keep to your office schedule, Ms. Kate. It won't do to have two workaholics in the family."

I smile up at her gratefully. "I'll remember that, Mrs. White."

One of the maids, Della, rushes into the room with a wireless phone. "Ms. Kate, it's Mr. Marcus," she says, handing it to me.

He probably tried to call me on my mobile but I had left it in my purse in the living room. "Thanks, Della," I say, taking the phone from her. "Hi, Marcus."

"I need to talk to you. I'm on my way there."

"I'm on my way to work, sorry. What's it about?"

"Can't you take the morning off?"

"Uhm." I frown. "I'd rather not. Is something wrong?"

"Maybe. I'll come see you at work. Will we be able to talk privately?"

"Of course. Marcus, you're making me nervous."

"It'll be all right."

"Does this have something to do with Raul?"

He's quiet for a long moment. "I'll talk to you soon."

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Thanks for reading! If you enjoyed this chapter, please vote by clicking on the star icon! Chapter 48 will be up on 8 January 2024.

Subscribers on my other website get to read chapters in advance . Chapters 1 to 49 are available there now, plus bonus scenes and chapters. Join the fun here (pls type the URL in your browser) -

https://anselacorsino.com/fmmbb