Chapter 14: Rock Bottom

Start from the beginning

"Shut up." She grumbled again, her face burning.

"Okay okay." He chuckled, it died out and they stood quiet, in an awkward quiet, both thinking about Newt and where he would have gone, "So you haven't see him since?" 

"No. He showed up, said he wanted to talk, and then..uh..."

"He kissed you good and hard." 

"Minho!" She gasped, going even reder. 

"But I'm so right." 

She rolled her eyes, "Then he said something kinda weird and then just abruptly left into the shadows." 

"Mysterious." 

"No, he appolagized for his behaviour all year and then said I wouldn't have to worry anymore." 

Minho didn't say anything, just frowned. "Yeah, okay, that's weird." 

An unease and a sick twisting grew in her stomach, her heart beat picked up. 

"Minho...something is wrong! We gotta find Alby, I sent Nick on bed rest." 

He nodded and they both sprinted from the MedHut, Jeff was just leaving the Homestead. 

"Hey, Jeff, I'm sorry, can you keep an eye on the Medhut right now? We got something to take care of, I'm sorry to throw you into the deep end...though there isn't much to do with Gally, just try to get him some water." 

"On it boss!" 

"Alby!" Minho hollered, the Glader turned around at his name. He always had a look of annoyance on his face, he wasn't always like that, it kept the Greenies from bugging him. He slowed his pace and Evelyn and Minho caught up to him. 

"Have you seen Newt at all lately?" Evelyn panted.

"Yeah, why?"

"When?" Minho demanded. His face was set and his eyes intense, Evelyn felt the same. The worry and apprehension were steadily rising, making her feel quite nauseous.  

"Relax shank, it was this morning, he said he was gonna get a head start on the maze." Alby gave him a weird look, but his eyes flicked to Evelyn who had staggered slightly. She felt her world teeter violently, her vision blurred for a moment. Minho grabbed her elbow. 

"Hey, you okay?" 

"No. No I'm not!" Her voice was hardly above a whisper, her knees felt like buckling. Her hands went cold and numb, she knew her face drained of colour. Alby and Minho both stepped closer, she grabbed both their arms and they helped her sink to the grass. They crouched in front of her, wearing the same worried expressions. 

"Pixy? What's wrong?" 

"It's Newt...Min.." She turned her bright green eyes onto him, "Last night...that was his way to say good bye..."

"What? Goodbye? Why would he-" Minho froze in the middle of his sentence, his face also drained of colour. "Shuck. No. He wouldn't!" 

"Wouldn't what?" 

Minho and Evelyn ignored Alby for a moment, having their own discussion, finally figuring everything out. 

"He's been looking awful again, closed off, sharp and snappy, have you noticed he hardly eats? I doubt he's sleeping well, the bags under his eyes...then his whole, you wont have to worry anymore.. and why would he go out alone into the maze? You guys always run together! He lied to Alby..." 

"No. No he wouldn't." His voice was thin, trying to convince himself otherwise. 

Evelyn knew. She knew in her heart Newt had said good bye in his own way, last night and it took everything in her to not break down and sob. She had to find him. She finally turned her eyes onto Alby, who was watching their exchange his eyes wide and worried.