Chapter 141: Making a Decision

Start from the beginning

Over the past year, the Crown Prince had changed a lot.

Once upon a time, he was amiable to his subordinates, and on the battlefield, he would fight at the forefront, never leaving any soldiers behind. Gentle and tolerant, respectful, but the darkness deep in his bones could not be concealed as he constantly tried to harm the Seventh Princess and the Second Prince. Moreover, the hero pitied the suffering beauty; he often, for Princess Fukang's sake, did many unthinkable actions, even disregarding his life, attracting the court ministers' sidelong glances.

Now, Princess Fukang had disappeared into thin air, the Seventh Princess died in a foreign land, the Second Prince lost everything and traveled to a distant land far from the capital, and Empress Xie live alone in the imperial villa, insane and foolish. The Third Prince and the Fourth Prince were placed under house arrest by Li De for the crime of colluding with foreign enemies. The Crown Prince's revenge was avenged, his true love had left, and his Crown Prince's position was solid. It seemed like he was starting to become peaceful and calm, no longer capricious, and no longer hated the Xie family's people.

The ministers in the court were immensely gratified.

Du Sinan's line of sight swept across Li Xuanzhen's handsome face, sneering in his heart: before a pot of water boiled, it hisses with steam; after boiling, the sound will become soft. The Crown Prince had not calmed in the least.

He lowered his head and bowed toward Li Xuanzhen.

Li Xuanzhen made a gesture for him to get up, not accepting his salute.

Du Sinan took his seat, secretly thinking in his heart: the Crown Prince's courtesy was not a falsehood, but the Crown Prince's ruthlessness was also by no means a rumor. When the Crown Prince mistakenly thought that he was the Second Prince Li Zhongqian's person, he immediately killed. This decisiveness by no means belonged to a merciful and compassionate person.

Li Xuanzhen sat opposite a young official with clear facial features, also in a green official robe similar to Du Sinan. It was the Prime Minister's son Zheng Jing. There had been floods in the Jingnan area recently, and the two had just been discussing the matter of disaster relief.

Zheng Jing nodded his head in greeting toward Du Sinan and asked, "Du Sheren, Southern Chu has changed heirs again?"

Du Sinan returned to his senses and said, "The Crown Prince of Southern Chu injured someone with his horse, and was caught by some courtiers. In order to save his reputation, the Crown Prince actually murdered these several court ministers to silence them. The Southern Chu people discussed this busily, and the ministers kneeling outside the palace gate cried without end. The Emperor of Southern Chu has no choice but to change the heir."

Zheng Jing smiled slightly.

Southern Chu's change of heir had been planned by him and Du Sinan.

As the saying goes, have a taste of your own medicine. They uncovered the Southern Chu's secret spies, then used those spies to find out the Southern Chu's intelligence network. They put out false news to confuse the Southern Chu and made the Southern Chu convinced that Great Wei dared not bring troops down south to divide the river and rule alongside the Southern Chu.

After that, they also released rumors that the reason why several Southern Chu generals were fighting this war was because they were originally from the north.

Southern Chu was affluent. The majority of the officials from Southern Chu were satisfied with their corner of the country. Living a charmed and luxurious life, they did not want to go to war with Great Wei. Thus, their schemes indeed hit the bullseye. Officials presented memorials to impeach the pro-war faction in the court, insisting they were attached to their homeland. Because of their selfishness, they played with tens of thousands of Southern Chu soldiers, disregarding their life and death. Disloyal and unfilial, both a snake and a rat.