Edge of Sanity | Layla | Seven

I would like to think I became more confident thanks to my new look, but sometimes there were moments where I felt like the overweight girl that no one wanted to look at or wanted to be friends with, and that feeling resurfaced as I stood on the porch of Tan's friend's house for dinner on Saturday night.

"You didn't have to bring something you know?" Tan chuckled as I gripped the container of the death by chocolate cake from a cute bakery across the apartment that I brought with me.

"Of course I did. You can't show up to a person's house for the first time empty handed." I argue.

"If you say so," Tan sighed. "Relax. Deacon and Mya are cool." He reassured me before the door opened revealing a very tall and handsome man.

Holy crap this man is hot!

Over six foot tall, sculpted muscles with salt and pepper beard and hair. He was older, probably pushing his late forties but he was still in very good shape.

"Hey, you guys made it! Come on in." The guy took a step back and opened the door wider for Tan and I to step through.

"Thanks again for inviting us," Tan said as we stepped inside the gorgeous home. "This is Layla. Layla, this is Deacon."

"Nice to meet you Layla." Deacon holds out his hand for me to shake.

"Nice to meet you," I shake his hand before holding out the cake I brought with me. "I bought cake . Tan told me your fiancé and daughters love chocolate."

"That was very thoughtful of you, thank you. Tan was right; Mya and the girls are gonna be thrilled."

"Where is Mya?" Tan asked, looking around.

"She's h-"

"Baby, the next time you're gonna use handcuffs, can you not tighten them so..." A girl came barreling out of the kitchen towards us saying, who I can only assume is Mya, Deacon's fiancé. "Much." She finished herself, her eyes now the size of giant brown saucers as she stares at me and Tan in the foyer.

Deacon cleared his throat and a quick glance at his face proves that his cheeks are now the cutest shade of pink.

"Sorry. I wasn't expecting you guys so early." Mya said as she erased the distance between us. "I'm Mya."

Wow. This girl was seriously pretty. Her skin reminded of a warm latte on a chilly Tuesday morning, her eyes the darkest shade of brown were framed by long black lashes, and she wore a very cute and casual white dress with a gold belt.

"Layla." I returned her smile.

"Hey Mya." Tan leaned forward to kiss her cheek.

"Is that death by chocolate cake I smell?" Mya eyes the box in my hand greedily.

"Yes, it is." I giggle.

"You are officially my new best friend." Mya said, making me smile.

"Why don't you guys go put that in the fridge? We can have it for desert after dinner." Deacon said.

"Come on. I'll show you where the kitchen is." Mya took my hand and I waved bye to Tan before letting Mya lead me to the kitchen. "You made my night bringing this," Mya told me as I set the cake down on the counter.

"Sounds like something else made your night," I raised my brow at her.

Her cheeks get a little red. "Okay well this cake is second on the list," she giggled. "What about you? Are you seeing anyone?"

"I guess? We've only been out a few times but he's really sweet."

"That's good. I hope things work out for you guys. I know dating especially in LA can be exhausting."