Eighteen | Mya

[author's note: Thank you so much for the feedback and comments on the last chapter 🙏🏾❤️]

When we arrived at my parent's house, my mom is waiting for us at the door. "There you are! I was starting to worry you were gonna cancel on me."

"Of course not. Thank you again for inviting us." Deacon tells her.

She hugs me. "Hi sweetheart. Hi girls." She said, smiling at Deacon's daughters. "Uncle Hondo got a surprise for you guys. One clue: it's rainbow."

Lilah jumped up and down at the news before she's running ahead of all of us to see what my dad got her. I just hoped whatever it was didn't give her too much of a sugar high.

We follow my mom inside the house and my dad is there setting up the table.

"There she is! My baby girl!" My dad announces, a big smile on his face as he comes over and wrap me up in a hug. "Hey Deac." He greets Deacon, his arm still around my shoulders.

"Hey. Everything smells great." I tell him.

"And it taste even better." My dad says smugly.

We all gather around the table and take our seats just as the doorbell rings.

"You expecting anyone else?" I ask my dad.

"No." He answers before standing up and going over to over to the front door. Seconds later he's entering the room with some guy I've never seen before. He's cute though. Like scary beautiful. His caramel skin is flawless, he stands near my dad shoulder to shoulder and he has a low fade with the side neatly buzzed.

"Look who stopped by." My dad announces proudly. "Guys, this is Michael." He introduces.

"Nice to see you again Michael." Deacon says, standing up to shake his hand.

"You too sir." Michael says.

"Wait, Michael? As in the one who..."

"Got shot and nearly died if Hondo didn't rush me to the hospital? Yeah, that's me." Michael supplies for me. "Hi, you must be Hondo's daughter."

"Mya," I give him a soft smile.

"Babe, do you mind if Michael stays for dinner?" My dad asks, looking at my mom.

"Of course not. The more the merrier." My mom smiles warmly at him.

Michael has a seat to the right of me and he shoots me another smile.

All of us sit at the table and conversation flows freely. We're all laughing and trading stories and it doesn't feel weird like I expected it to. I thought for sure it would've been obvious that Deacon and I crossed a line but I guess they couldn't tell and I was grateful. Michael catches us up on how he's been doing since he recovered from his wound and apparently he was a sophomore at UCLA with a football scholarship. He's the quarterback.