Twenty-Two | Deacon

"I put the Caprisun and Gatorade in the cooler

"I put the Caprisun and Gatorade in the cooler." I say, walking towards my spot on the field. "Goldfish are in my bag."

Mya and Lilah walk ahead of me, Lilah excited to get to her teammates. It was my turn to bring the snacks.

"Thanks dad." Lilah tells me, waving to her friends.

"Have a good game sweetie!" I shout after her but she's already with her friends talking and hugging each other.

"Seems like you repulse women Mr. Kay." Mya says, teasingly.

"Oh, yeah? You don't look repulsed." I say, setting down our foldable chairs on the grass.

"I'm just hiding it very well." She giggles and I wish I could pull her into my arms in that moment but I can't, knowing there were people around.

I fix our chairs, putting them in a shady area with a good of view of Lilah on the field.

Mya sits down next to me, leaning back and relaxing in her seat. Her hands are in her lap, and I don't think she's touched me since we woke up this morning. I went for a jog this morning, she picked up the girls from their grandmother's house and between getting Lilah ready and packing the snacks, there wasn't much time to be alone.

     I look at Lilah, her thick blonde hair is pulled up into a ponytail and she has the aura that reminds me so much of her mother and for a moment I'm reminded that my decision to be with Mya doesn't just effect me, but it effects her too. Would she be okay with it or would she think I'm replacing her mother too soon?

     "Good morning David."

I look to my left to see Candance, one of the mom's of the little girls on Lilah's team. She was a pretty woman. Shoulder-length blonde hair and nice brown eyes and she was a Veterinarian with a very successful animal clinic. She's dressed in a tight fitting light blue workout outfit and grey sneakers and her blonde hair fans out around her shoulders. A month ago she would've been my type. A month ago she would've been someone I could see myself moving on with, but not anymore. Not when I have something better.

    "Good morning Candance." I greet her, throwing her a tiny smile.

     She smiles but only for a second until she notices Mya sitting next to me. "Good morning Mia."

     "It's Mya." I correct her.

     "Right. Sorry." She pretends to be apologetic.

"It's fine." Mya gives her own fake smile back.

"It sure is hot today, right?" Candance notes, setting up her own seat and because I'm a gentleman, I stand up and help her. "Such a gentleman." She smiles at me. It's a flirty smile, one I'm used to getting from a few of the single moms here but I never pay attention to it.

"I'm gonna go get a water." Mya says, standing up from her seat.

"Would you be a dear and grab one for me too? Thank you." Candace says before turning her attention back to me.

I wait for Mya to tell her off but surprisingly she gives Candace a half smile. "No problem."

I watch as Mya walks off towards the concession stands where there's a coffee cart, and try not to stare at her ass as she does.

Candace begins talking about a fundraiser she's hosting and I pretend to be mildly interested; nodding my head and asking follow up questions, but really I'm just waiting for Mya to come back.

The game starts- thank God- saves me from listening to Candace any longer. She thankfully turns her attention to her son.

Mya comes back a minute later and hands Candace a water bottle and wordlessly hands me a cup of coffee.

I start to lean over to kiss her as a thank you when I remember where we are. I play it off as if I was going to whisper in her ear. Mya can tell and schools her face. I can't tell if she wants to smile or if she's angry.

The game goes on, Lilah scores a goal and Mya and I stand up and cheer her on.

"So, what do you say?" Candace asks, turning her head to look at me expectantly.

     "What do I say about what?"

"Being my date for the fundraiser next weekend." She clarifies.

Shit.

"I'm actually seeing someone." I admit, vaguely, hoping she'd let it go.

"Oh. Well how serious is it?" She wonders.

"It's still new."

"Oh. Then in that case I insist you take me on this date David."

What do I say? I'm not interested but I can't tell her I'm dating someone because she'll be curious.

"It's kinda last minute. I'll need to secure a babysitter for the girls." I tell her.

"That's why you have Mya, silly."

"I still need to ask her in advance. That's not how our relationship works." I warn her.

Candace ignores me and looks at Mya. "Would you be a doll and watch the kids? I think Deacon deserves a night out right?"

I look at Mya expecting her to argue but she gives nothing away. "I'll watch the kids. Go out and have a good time." She tells me.

"We're gonna have such a good time." Candace beams before turning her attention back to the game.

"I'm gonna stretch my legs." Mya announce before she stands up and walks away, a putting some distance between us. I make the excuse of needing more sugar for my coffee before I go over to Mya who stands with her back against the fence as she watches the game.

"I hate this." I glance towards Candace, making sure she isn't watching us. "I hate that I have to go out with her."

"Then you should've told her the truth. That no you can't go out with her because you're dating me."

I'm dating her. Yeah. I am.

"What are we even doing Deacon? Are we dating?" She asks me.

I open my mouth to tell her yes. That she's mine and I'm hers. That I think I'm falling in love with her. But  I can't say any of that; soon she'll get bored of me and want someone younger. I'm not risking my family or my job for something I'm not sure what this is yet.

She stares me down, her brown eyes dark like mud. "I guess I got my answer."
----------------------
7+ comments for the next chapter.
Thank you for reading! 😌