Eleven | MYA

I feel like shit.

Slowly, I stir awake and blink a few times when I see the blinding white light. My throat feels dry and there's a knot in my stomach and my head is pounding with the worst headache I've ever felt.

"Hey baby girl."

I try to turn my head to follow the sound of my dad's voice but it hurt too much and I groan as the pounding in my head intensifies. "Hey, it's okay. I'm here. Right here." My dad suddenly appears before me and I feel the warmth of his touch as he holds my hand.

"What happened?" I ask, remembering I called Deacon when I suspected that Conor slipped something in my drink; I'm not surprised he called my dad and got him involved. I am surprised though that he's not here with me right now.

"You're okay," My dad reassures me. "The combination of the drinks you had and the drug in your system caused you to black out. That guy never made it through the bathroom doors."

"I'm sorry." I tell him, feeling stupid and horrible for putting him and my mom through this kind of worry. "I know the rules. I know I shouldn't put my drink down-" My heart starts to race as I think about what could've happened to me if I didn't react as quickly as I did and called Deacon. My dad is cop for crying out loud! I know the rules. Never take your eyes off your drink. Never put your cup down. My parents have been telling me this since I started going to parties in high school and the one time I let my guard down, this happens.

"Stop it. Don't you dare blame yourself for any of this." My dad tells me. "Just tell me what happened."

"I went out dancing with Taylor and a couple of her friends from college. One of them was this guy name Conor; we hung out once before. He seemed nice. But at the club he was acting different. More aggressive. More pushy. I wasn't into it. So I found Taylor and told her I was leaving once I finish my drink and he must've did it then." I explain.

"We're gonna get this guy, don't worry." My dad squeezes my hand before leaning down to press a kiss to my forehead.

"Where's Deacon?"

"He's out tracking Conor now." My dad tells me. "Thank God you called Deacon. I don't even want to think about what would've happened if he didn't get to you in time." He pauses. "Though, I don't know what he was thinking letting you go out dressed like that and drinking underage?"

"Don't start," I'd roll my eyes if that movement didn't hurt too much either. "Deacon tried to stop me, but I already made my mind up and once I make my mind up you know there's no changing it. Some people say I get that from my father." I tease.

Any other time that would've made him smile, but I know he's too upset about the situation that now wasn't the best time to remind him that he raised a daughter that was just like him in so many ways.

"I'm going to speak to the lead detective on this case. Apparently you're not the only girl this guy has tried to take advantage of. I'm gonna get this guy." My dad promises me.

I shutter thinking of all the girls before who fell for his charms and good looks or worse- the ones who didn't and he just decided it didn't matter either way.

Did Taylor know about the kind of person she was hanging out with?

"Can you call Deacon? I want to thank him." I tell my dad.

"Sure thing sweetheart. You just get some rest." My dad presses another kiss to my hair before he walks out the room.

I must have dozed off because When I open my eyes again I see Deacon strolling into the room. My heart does this thing it's never done before where it beats like Jackhammer against my chest at the sight of him.  He's dressed in a pair of black joggers, and a black tee underneath a black jacket.

For a moment, neither of us say anything. We just stare at each other. I can only imagine what he's thinking. I should've listened to him and stayed in. I know my dad tells me it's not my fault, but it is. If I would've just stayed in tonight none of this would've happened.

"Hi." I say, finally breaking the silence.

"Hey."

"I should've listened to you." I admit.

"Don't." He warns me sternly. "Don't blame yourself."

"How can I not? You told me you had a bad feeling about Conor and I completely ignored you. I didn't want to go out but I just wanted to get back at you." I confess.

"Back at me for what?"

"You basically told me that I was silly to think that you would ever date me. For making me think this thing between us is all in my head. And maybe it is-" I start to ramble but Deacon cuts me off.

"It's not in your head." He finishes for me.

"It's not?" I slit my eyes over to look at him, trying to gauge if he's telling the truth or not.

"No." Deacon sighs deeply. "But it doesn't matter. You're Hondo's daughter; hell, you're old enough to be my daughter." He reminds me, or maybe it's to remind himself.

"Age doesn't matter to me. We're both adults..."

"It matters to me. We're not talking about a tiny one year or five year year age gap. I'm twenty-five years older than you."

I open my mouth to tell him that I don't care, but before I can, the door opens and my mom runs in with my dad behind her.

I look at my mom, take in her red puffy eyes and temporarily put my conversation with Deacon in the back of my mind. But we we're far from done with this conversation. He admitted that he has feelings for me or at the very least he's attracted to me.

My mom takes up the seat next to my bed and holds my hand. She gushes over how happy she is I'm okay and I feel worse about putting her and my dad through this when it could've easily been avoided.

"I'm gonna give you guys a minute." Deacon says, retreating to the front door then his eyes meet mine. "I'm glad you're okay Mya."

"Thank you." I tell him.

"I don't know how I can repay you. This is the second time you've come through for me and my family." My dad says.

"Anytime. We're family." Deacon says.

"How can I repay you?" My father asks.

"When Mya is all better, promise me she'll come back to me and the girls." He pauses, making sure to catch my eye when he does. "We need her."