Edge of Sanity | Tan | Four

I grip the handle of the elevator tight as I stand behind Layla

I grip the handle of the elevator tight as I stand behind Layla. She's dressed in a pair of destroyed shorts, a white top that looks more like a bra to me under a dark blue blazer and white heels pretty similar to the black ones this morning.

When I got off of work, I called her to see what she wanted to order for dinner but instead she told me she'd pick something up at the food court because she needed to go shopping for some new clothes for a date she's going on this Friday.

She's barely been here for forty-eight hours and already she's getting asked out on dates?

I stare at her again. The shorts exposes way too much of her legs, bringing attention to her smooth skin and just how long and sexy her legs are.

I clear my throat. Not sure where the hell these thoughts are coming from. Layla has always been cute. But sexy? It was never a word I would associate Layla with in the past, but it was the only word that seemed fitting for her now.

"Why am I here again?" I ask as the two of us step off the escalator.

"You're here because I don't have any girl friends and I need help picking out some new outfits for my date this weekend."

"What's wrong with the clothes you have?" I ask her, following her into one of the stores.

"I was able to get a few new things before the move, but most of my clothes are still from when I was overweight. I just want a few more pieces that will help me stand out."

"You don't need clothes to stand out Layla." I tell her.

"Thanks Victor." She turns to me and smiles and seeing her smile at me does something weird to my gut.

I follow after Layla from store to store and watch as she picks out new clothes; everything from new tops to new skirts. She told me she was looking for three dresses. One she could wear for a business function and the other one she could wear for her date but also have a backup if she changed her mind last minute.

"What about this one?" I held up a black dress with long sleeves.

She scrunches up her face. "Even my mother wouldn't wear that."

I didn't see anything wrong with it. It was long and respectable. It would cover up everything.

"This is a nice dress," I argue.

Layla pauses looking through the racks to give me a look. "Would you think Bonnie looked sexy if she wore that?"

No.

"Absolutely," I lie.

"You're such a terrible liar." Layla giggles.

I continued my search. A few glances from women came my way along with some flirty smiles, but I smiled back politely or ignore them, knowing Bonnie was the one for me. I continue to hold up different dresses for Layla to pick but her response was to either shake her head or scrunch up her cute nose. After nearly two hours though, I was ready to get out of here.