Sixteen| MYA

I reach for the the yellow crayon, picking it up and using it to shade in Elsa's hair in the coloring book that Lilah picked out and asked if I could color with her since she was done with her homework

I reach for the the yellow crayon, picking it up and using it to shade in Elsa's hair in the coloring book that Lilah picked out and asked if I could color with her since she was done with her homework. I feel an urge to check the clock on my phone, but refrain since I know it's barely been five minutes since the last time I checked.

It's after seven. Deacon is late. He's hardly late. And he hasn't called either. He usually calls and let's me know if he was going be late because of work.

The steak I made forty-five minutes ago sits warming in the oven while the scalloped potatoes are warm on the oven and I have a bottle of white wine chilling on the fridge.

Top Gun, his favorite movie, is ready to play in the living room and I'm here alone.

What the hell?

Okay, he could be working late on a case. Understandable. Or what if he's hurt? People are shooting at him all day. I realize that's extreme so I tell myself not to dwell on that idea for too long.

I start coloring Elsa's dress blue, allowing more time to pass by and for me to get angry. Was he avoiding me? Was he regretting what we did?

This morning had been great. I woke up sore because it's been awhile but nothing I couldn't handle. He was definitely capable of handling me. That S.W.A.T stamina was definitely in tact. I blushed every single time I thought about last night and this morning.

The things he said to me...

I didn't want to wash away his smell, but I desperately needed to clean myself, so I hopped in the shower after making the bed. I got the girls ready and dropped Lilah at school before taking Victoria to the beach.

Time couldn't go by fast enough because I knew later he would be home. And he'd be all mine. I toyed around with the idea of us laying some blankets on the ground and watch stars in the backyard. Or maybe we'd put on a movie, turn off the lights and make out like a couple of teenagers. I even thought about picking a fight so he'd have an excuse to use his handcuffs on me.

But instead, here I was, coloring with a six year old.

Of course I loved spending time with Lilah, but I also really wanted to continue what Deacon and I started last night.

After a while, I pick up my phone and check the time. He's usually home by now. Before I can stop myself, I step away from Lilah to call him. It's his answering machine. I hesitate for a moment before scrolling my contacts and dialing my dad's number.

"Hi dad." I chirp, making my voice sound extra light and cheery so he wouldn't expect I was sad.

"Hey baby girl. Well, this is a nice surprise. Everything good?"

"Yeah, everything is fine. I was just wondering if Deacon was with you? It's late and the girls are asking for him." I lie.

"Nah, baby girl, the team and I got off an hour ago. If Deacon is not home then he probably took Luca up on his offer and went on that date."

My ears hummed and my throat burned.

"Date?"

"Yeah. Apparently Luca set him up with some girl he knows. They must've gotten coffee or a quick dinner." My dad explains, sounding happy about it. Of course he was. Deacon is his best-friend; he'd want for his best friend to move on and find love again.

"Oh, wow. That's great." I say, trying to sound enthusiastic and not at all like I'm about to cry.

"Yeah, it is. Deacon deserves to be happy after losing his wife so suddenly."

"I couldn't agree more dad." I reply. "Hey, Victoria woke up from her nap and needs me. I'll talk to you later."

"Okay, wait hold up-" My dad says before I can hang up the phone. "We're still gonna see you guys tomorrow night for family dinner?"

The last thing I wanted to do was be around Deacon and pretend like I'm still just his doting nanny, but I couldn't cancel on my parents without a really good reason and right now I didn't have one.

"Of course."

"Hey, you sure you're okay? You sound a little off."

"I'm fine dad. But I really gotta go."

"I love you." He tells me firmly.

"I love you too." I tell him and hang up before he can say anything else.

A date.

He's a on a fucking date.

Anger burns through my veins. I can't believe I was so stupid and naive to think us sleeping together would mean something to him.

The whole protective and possessive act he put on these last few weeks was a load of crap. He was just buying time until he got into my panties. His dick was probably so starved for attention that he was just desperate enough to sleep with his best-friend's daughter.

I can feel tears welling up in my eyes at the thought of being a desperate lay to Deacon. It meant more to me than that. There was a connection there. I know there was.

I hear the door unlock and I quickly bank my emotions. I wasn't going to give him the satisfaction of knowing he hurt me or that I cared.

I walk out of the kitchen and tell Lilah to take her coloring book back to her room.

I ready myself to see him and I barely have enough time before he walks into the kitchen, looking just as good as he did this morning... but I wasn't going to let myself get distracted by that.

He pauses when he sees me. "Hey."

"Hey."

The two of us just stare at each other until he breaks the silence.

"Where are the girls?"

"Upstairs in their room."

"Okay. I'm gonna go say hi." He starts to turn but if he thinks he's getting off that easy he has another thing coming.

"Really Deacon? So we're going to act like last night and this morning didn't happen?" I demand.

"I think that would be best. Look, Mya, you're great. You're sweet, you're sexy as hell and as amazing as last night was, it was a mistake. I'm the older one here which means I should've stopped last night from ever happening. But it did and I take full responsibility for that."

He thought last night was a mistake?

Was he saying this because he went on the date and it was great and now he's thinking he can see a potential with the faceless woman instead of me?

He probably thinks I'm some horny child looking to fulfill some older man fantasy.

I could die.

"No need to shoulder the blame all on your own. It takes two people to do what we did and I don't regret last night but if you want to pretend like it never happened, then that's what we'll do. You're not the only adult here Deacon."

"Okay, good." He sounds relieved. "I'm gonna go check on the girls. You can take the rest of the night off."

"Okay," and because I couldn't help it I added, "Mr. Kay." Right before I walked out of the kitchen. If he wanted to pretend like nothing happened then that's exactly what I was going to do.