As soon as I closed the distance between us, he took over. His lips were soft and demanding, coaxing me with slow expertise. His tongue dipped inside, tasting me in long, leisurely licks.

My hands were in his hair almost as if by instinct, pulling on the silky strands and using them to direct his mouth over mine.

He growled, deepening the kissing and pulling me even closer to him.

I felt the raging beat of his heart against my chest as if he were as hopeless as me. There was no distance between us. We're attuned physically and mentally.

"I love you," he said in between kisses, his voice filled with a raw, passionate yearning. "I love you so much it hurts sometimes."

Drawing back slightly, I looked into his eyes. At that moment, I knew there was no going back for me. "I love you," I said, noticing how his chest expanded on a deep breath.

Cupping the back of my head and the curve of my butt, he lifted me off my feet. My legs instinctively wrapped around his waist, and the feeling of being in his arms sent shivers of anticipation through me.

He moved with purpose as he walked us upstairs, taking us to his room. I was pressed full-body against him, achingly aware of every hot, hard inch of him. My skin was damp and too sensitive; my breasts were heavy and tender. My clit throbbed with need, pounding along with my heartbeat.

I wanted him.

I loved him.

So much that it consumed me.

In his dimly lit bedroom, he gently lowered me onto his bed, and the soft moonlight filtering through the curtains created an intimate atmosphere that left no room for doubt.

Asher Sullivan owned my heart, my mind, and everything in between.

"Ms. Cavendish?" The server who escorted me inside says, pulling me away from my thoughts.

I stand up, feeling a slight heat spreading across my face. "Oh, hi."

"Mr. Sullivan is waiting for you in his office," she says. "He's running a little late with his meeting, but he asked for you to go in, please."

"Oh, thanks." I follow her.

Little did I know that when my life took a devastating turn, it wouldn't be Asher, but his older brother Max, who would throw me an unexpected lifeline.

It has been over a month since a dreadful fire ravaged Wings of Freedom, the women's shelter I poured my heart and soul into building. The memories of that fateful day still haunt me. I can still feel the echoes of chaos and destruction that reverberated deep within my soul.

So, when Max called and offered his help, I couldn't fathom passing up the opportunity. Nervousness prickled beneath my skin as he mentioned the amount of money he was willing to donate, far more than any previous contribution we'd received. It would be enough not only to rebuild the shelter but also to make it even better than it was. It would change the lives of two hundred people forever.

There is no way I can turn that down.

Even if something inside me keeps telling me his offer is too good to be true.

I knock on the already open door of his office. "Your secretary told me to come in," I say.

"Emma," Max says, his eyes widening when he sees me. "Please come in."

I detect the same relief in his voice from when we spoke last week for the first time, but now there's a hint of apprehension lingering in his gaze that makes me uneasy.