In this cruel world, what are we fighting for?

Dazai cut the phone.

"DAMN IT!" screamed out Chuuya.

"The people are all dead or injured. We are all tired as shit. And we need to go. The rumbling started." Ranpo couldn't help rambling out.

"We just finished fighting an hour ago...why?" Atsushi spoke distressed.

"They really knew what they were doing." Dazai gritted his teeth, "I figured, but really, what was there to do?"

They had to fight. They were stuck in a dead lock with no way out.

"Is this why you told many ability users to stay? Like Kyouka-chan and Chuuya-san, and many others?" Atsushi spoke out.

"Yes. But...the noise I heard there...the rumbling is worse than we can even imagine." Dazai's hands fisted into balls.

Rubi herself sounded panicked. Anyone else couldn't hear it, but Dazai did.

Her voice was not the usual steady it always had been in the past.

Many powerful ability users were told to get back by Dazai, which is what put them in a disadvantage against the titans this time. Although they won, the casualties were far greater than the last times.

"At least we still have the power to deal with them. Dazai, we should go. Ask Fitzgerald to arrange jet planes or something. Didn't you say you would?"
"Yeah. Wait." the latter sounded strained.  Chuuya couldn’t blame him.

Dazai pulled out his phone and called, Hello, Fitzgerald-san? Yes. Yes the jet planes. They are ready? Can you send them? Now? That's a relief. Yes please, thank you."

Dazai cut the phone, "He said he will do it."

Chuuya spoke gruffly, "Rubi-nee, how is she?"
"I honestly can't tell. She sounded panicked."
"Where? I didn't notice anything."
"Believe me, she is as unnerved as we are."

Atsushi got up, "I am going to see Akutagawa."
Dazai spoke up, "I am coming with you. Higuchi being injured really threw him off."

Higuchi was gravely injured in the fight. Dazai did tell the ability users to get in, but some had to continue fighting. Higuchi was one of them.

Dazai knew he made a cold decision, but there had to be some people. The titan shifters alone were not enough.

The complicated part was, Akutagawa was angry. With Dazai. Horribly so. It somehow put an odd feeling on the latter man.

Akutagawa didn't say anything to him, but it was apparent as day how angry he was with Dazai.

"Akutagawa..." Atsushi called.

Akuatagawa was sitting beside an unconscious Higuchi, who had IVs connected to her wrist veins. She was bandaged in areas and places.

"Jinko..." He looked back, but as soon as he saw Dazai, his expression hardened ten fold. This was the same expression he had for Atsushi seven years ago when they met the first time.

How ironic.

Dazai got caught off guard being the target of that look. In his life, he had always seen Akutagawa with a face that craved for his approvals. He did approve of him eventually, but even after, Akutagawa persisted to continue to maintain whatever expectations Dazai put on him, or at least pretended to put on him.

Right now, there was none of that twisted admiration of his for his twisted mentor who taught him everything he knew in a twisted way.

"Akutagawa-kun, yo-"
"Get out."
"..."
"Jinko, why did you come here? Is something wrong?"