We will stand tall

Rubi composed herself and spoke, "Osamu...as you guessed, I have the power of the female titan this time."

Dazai nodded, "Do you want me to inherit a titan too?"

Rubi flinched slightly.

"I don't. Being a titan shifter is not...something I would want anyone to go through."
Her lips thinned into a straight line and it was apparent she was hesitant.

"You say that, but you need the powers in competent hands, right?" Dazai nonchalantly remarked, cracking his neck joints slightly.

He watched her gaze and felt a sting in his heart. Rubi had a look like she was a mother deer watching her children get eaten by a lion. She didn't need to say anything for Dazai to understand that she was facing a tremendous internal conflict.

Dazai smiled and came closer to her, and held her hands, "Rubi-nee, if you think it's the best to give me a titan shifter's power, then do it."

He felt the other person tremble slightly. Like she was a flower shivering in the wind. He hugged that delicate flower, "It's fine. We will be okay."

Rubi took a deep breath and tried to calm herself down, "I still don't want to put you guys through it."
"But there is no other choice. It's the best solution right now." Dazai pulled back and looked at her with a softness that he himself wasn't aware of, "Please."

"But only if you promise you will not make it difficult for yourself."

Dazai smiled, "Which titan powers do you have right now?" He didn't address the other issue she spoke of.

Rubi understood that he was avoiding about that on purpose. She wanted to push it more, but chose not to. It was futile to do so. So she brought out three small class jars, each of them contained a light ball having a different colour.

There was one blue, one white and one beige.

"The blue one is the beast titans' power, the white one is the war hammer titan's power, while the beige one is the jaw titan's power."
"Which one do you recommended?"
"Mhmm...if you ask me...I say take the jaw titan."

Dazai thought about it for a while. The jaw titan was agile and quick, with claws and jaws able to destroy nearly anything in this world. It needed a user with quick wits as Rubi said.

Who was more fitting to be the jaw titan than him?

He nodded, "I think it's perfect for me too."
"Very well. Dazai Osamu, I am giving you the power of the jaw titan. I trust you to use it wisely."
"I will." He nodded firmly.

He opened the jar, the beige light ball came out and Dazai gripped it in his palm.

This strange feeling, what was it?

His blood felt hot all of a sudden.

He could feel a sudden surge of a monstrous power in him. He looked at Rubi, who only nodded.

So it was normal.

"You are now the wielder of the jaw titan. Let's go to somewhere remote for a while and have you transform. Your first transformation might not go well and you might not be in control."
"Ah, so will you bring me out?"
"Yes. Don't worry."

As they reached behind the agency building where they had enough space, Rubi asked, determined, "Are you ready?"
Dazai nodded.

"Alright."

For some reason, out of sheer instinct and nothing else, Dazai bit his hand really hard. Rubi smiled and bit her hand too.

They both started to bleed.