[022] Alexandria, Community For All

The barn they were in was small but it worked

The barn they were in was small but it worked. Mariam was sleeping on Fiona's left shoulder while Oliver was on her right and Easton was sitting beside Oliver.

It was silent for the longest time and when it was, the gunshot repeated in her head. The talking of everyone else was blurred out unless they were talking to her.

"Hey." Maggie's voice rung in Fiona's ears. Mariam and Oliver were either light sleepers or weren't sleeping at all because they woke up at the sound of the barn door opening, "Everyone... this is Aaron."

Literally everyone stood up and pointed their weapons at the man. Fiona didn't she just stood up and got in front of the kids.

"We met him outside. He's by himself. We took his weapons and we took his gear." Maggie explained while Daryl aggressively patted him down.

"Hi." The brunette spoke after a couple seconds of silence and when Daryl closed the barn door. And of course Judith had to start crying. "It's nice to meet you."

"You said he had a weapon?" Rick asked to two women behind Aaron. Maggie walked up and handed him his gun, "There's something you need?"

"He has a camp nearby." Sasha spoke for the man, "He wants us to audition for a membership."

"Audition? What is this a dance group?" Fiona asked making the man look at her and chuckle.

"I wish there was another word. That's only on Friday nights." Aaron smiles and everyone just stares at him with no reaction making him shift uncomfortably, "Um, and it's not a camp. It's a community. I think you all would make valuable additions. But it's not my call. Uhm, my job is to convince you all to follow me back home."

Fiona took a good look at the man and he was clean and looked trustworthy. He waited for someone to speak which no one didn't so he continued.

"I know. If I were you, I wouldn't go either. Not until I knew exactly what I was getting into. Sasha, can you hand Rick my pack?" Sasha stared at him before doing as he asked, "Front pocket, there's an envelope."

Fiona walked beside Rick after giving the kids a signal to stay put, which they nodded at.

"There's not way I could convince you to come with me just by talking about our community. That's why I brought those. I apologize in advance for the picture quality. We just found an old camera store last—"

"Nobody gives a shit." Daryl rudely interrupted the man who looked embarrassed after Daryl said that.

"You're absolutely 100% right." Aaron says and Rick takes out the pictures, standing up so Fiona could see as well, "That's the first picture J wanted to show you. Because nothing I say about our community will matter unless you know you'll be safe. If you join us, you will be."

"I believe it." Fiona whispers to Rick who looked at her making her shrug.

"—Slab of solid steel framed by cold-rolled steel beams and square tubing. Nothing alive or dead gets through that without our say-so." Aaron continued, "Like I said, security is obviously important. In fact, there's only one resource more critical to our community's survival. The people."