Chapter 44

The next day, Kashish along with Amit were seated at their usual spot that was in the right corner of the workspace. "Last moment pe aisi galti kaise kar sakte hai ap! Now fix it before ma'am berates you for this", Kashish instructed him, who gave her an apologetic look. She was going to open her mouth again when Amit gestured her to be quiet and before she could oppose she heard some voices coming from the nearest desk.

"What do you think Haseena does all alone with Miss Singh in her cabin?" Kashish heard someone saying and just by the voice she knew who it was, having worked with her for almost a month now.

"You know that quite well Miss Paul. So don't make me gossip", the youngman beside Miss Paul answered, who they recognized as Kunal Mehra. The blunt implications of his words left them utterly shocked. "Those who neither have skill nor ethics, have to get cozy with their clients to have a successful career", he added with a sly smirk that made Kashish visibly disgusted. She couldn't bear to hear their distasteful gossip anymore and left instantly.

"Kitne badtameez hai yehlog! How could they!" Kashish felt short of words as she paced around the cabin, "We should let Karishma ma'am know!"

"Hosh mei toh haina ap?" Amit said in a fearful tone, "Ap janti nahi hai unke gusse ko. Agar unko yehsab pata chala toh tandav hoga yaha!"

"Ap yeh bhi toh sochiye ke agar unhe kisi aur tarike se pata chala toh kya hoga! Isse behtar hum bata dete hai", Kashish persisted while Amit just nodded half heartedly.

"Kisko kya batana hai!" out of nowhere they heard Karishma saying and the suddenness of it made both of them flinch. Amit gave Kashish a pleading look while Kashish gulped down with an unsettling expression on her face. Karishma, having sensed something strange in their behaviour, persisted, "Ji bataiye?" The two perturbed souls shared a glance at each other, taking a deep breath before explaining the incident to Karishma.

"Kisne kiya hai yeh bakwas!" As expected, they both witnessed Karishma fly into a rage as soon as she heard the demeaning allegations directed at Haseena. She had her fist clenched in agitation while eyes went red, mirroring the intensity of the blazing fury that was shooting through her being.

"Woh..Mr Mehra", Amit moved the paperweight away from Karishma, afraid that it might hit his head any moment. Karishma just rushed out of the room and both of them followed her, only to witness another shocking scene unfolding in front of them. They saw Haseena delivering a fierce slap at Mr Mehra's cheek that left the corner of his lips bleeding. Momentarily stunned, the employees present here exchanged looks and whispers while Karishma's lips curved into a proud smile, seeing Haseena taking stand for herself.
Mr Mehra's bruised face held an expression mixed with humiliation, shock and anger. "Tum.. tumhari itni himmat!" He stuttered on his words as never in his life he thought he would be publicly humiliated, that too in a place where he held a respectful position for so many years now.

Things escalated quickly as commotion expectedly grabbed the attention of Madam Sehgal, who approached them, her demeanor was intimidating. "What do you guys think you are doing?" Her strict voice echoed through the place that was by now enveloped with an eerie silence. "And you Haseena", she averted her gaze at Haseena, "Would you kindly spare me the reason behind this misconduct of yours?"

"You can have me sacked at this very moment if you want to, ma'am", Haseena uttered, making eye contact with her. "Lekin humne jo kiya woh koi misconduct toh bilkul bhi nahi hai", her tone carried a deep sense of aversion as she looked back at Mr Mehra, "Kuch logo ko samjhana zaroori tha ke agar koi tameez se baat kar raha hai, toh iska hargiz yeh matlab nahi hai ki usse badtameezi ka jawab dena nahi aata hoga!" Her voice, loud and firm, was like a warning that she wouldn't keep mum when it comes to her dignity, regardless of whom she might have to face as she turned to leave. Karishma, who watched Haseena with sheer admiration and pride in her eyes all this time followed her, not wanting to leave her alone.