Chapter 14

Karishma opened her eyes and struggled to adjust her vision to the light. Her head still felt heavy and more than anything she felt thirsty.

She turned her head slightly to her left, only to witness the most beautiful sight ever. Haseena was sleeping on her right side with Ashu snuggling into her. She was holding Karishma's left hand with her unoccupied hand that was carefully rested over Ashu's stomach.

Karishma was amazed at her Hasi's tenderness, how thoughtful and caring she was even in her sleep! Not to mention the radiance of the morning sunlight that made her look ethereal.

At that moment, Karishma felt all her weariness and weakness leaving her body that she was feeling before, owing to the fever.
How could a morning feel so pleasant, so peaceful! Karishma wondered. She was never a morning person. The days she had to wake up early, she would get triggered easily, everything would get into her nerve easily. But with this view she could happily wake up at 5 am and still would be cheerful.

She looked at their joined hands once then shifted her gaze to Haseena. "I'm sorry Hasi. Mai kabhi aisi harkat nahi karungi, kabhi tumhe hurt nahi karungi. Please aise hi mera haath pakadke rehna, humesha!", Karishma uttered with utmost sincerity in her voice.

Haseena stirred a bit in her sleep. She felt a sharp pain in her neck as she tried to move. She pulled her hand in reflex to rub on her neck, without realizing it was in Karishma's hold. Karishma, as a result, loosened her grip on their hand, letting her go. It took some moments for Haseena to take in the circumstance then she hurriedly woke up to look over Karishma. Her heart fluttered seeing her ahmaq insan finally awake, although she maintained a straight face. But then her happiness changed into concern as she saw Karishma was trying to get up by herself looking for something.

"Ap baithi rahiye", Haseena instructed sternly. "Kya chahiye apko, hume bataiye. Hum dete hai", she said going towards Karishma's side urgently.

"Paani peena hai", Karishma replied looking at her. Haseena poured a glass of water and made her drink it.

She waited for Haseena to speak or get angry or to scold at least, but she did nothing. She kept looking at Haseena who was trying to be busy and looking everywhere except her. She could sense that Haseena was upset. But what could be the reason, after all she didn't know about Karishma's misdeeds from that night.

"Mai khud bhi pee sakti thi, haath mein dard nahi hai abhi", Karishma said trying to initiate the conversation, only to receive a death glare from Haseena. "Chalo, meri taraf dekha to sahi madam ne", she thought.

Haseena came closer to her and put her palm on her temple to check the temperature. This sudden proximity made Karishma close her eyes involuntarily. Upon finding the temperature normal, Haseena took Ashu and went out to inform Shivani and others.

After some time, the doctor came to check on her and reassured everyone that she was doing well now. Karishma received a good scolding from her family for her carelessness. Santosh and Cheetah also gave her a mouthful. And all this time, Karishma waited for Haseena, wanting to talk to her but she didn't come to meet her for once.

"Hasi kaha hai yaar! Abtak behosh thi toh mere saath thi aur ab thik ho gayi hu toh eid ka chand ban gayi hai", Karishma chided.

"Apne ghar gayi hogi. Kal se bas tere saath hi thi", Cheetah said munching on the food that was kept for Karishma.

"Ha, sahi kaha", Santosh seconded him. "Waise Hasi se yaad aya. Kya chal raha tha tumhara uss raat se? Puri baat janni hai mujhe. Bilkul chupane ki koushish mat karna, warna tumhara sarr fod dungi dekh lena", she said sternly.

.
.

"Apko pata toh hai ammi! Karishma ki tabiyat kinti kharab thi isliye haveli mein ruk gayi thi", Haseena said to her mother who seemed hell angry at her.