Chapter 32

Teri surat se hai aalam mein baharon ko sabaat,
Teri ankhon ke siwa duniya mein rakha hi kya hai...

"Yeh Sanjana apko kyu call kar rahi hai?" Haseena asked, her words came out more interrogatory than she would want. "Woh bhi iss waqt!" she muttered, as if demanding for an explanation as her eyebrows furrowed reflexively.

"Maine hi kahi thi iss waqt phone karne ko, taki itna accha moment kharab ho sake", Karishma remarked sarcastically, not sensing the agitation reflected in Haseena's words.

"Bilkul bhi mazak nahi kar rahe hai hum!" Haseena retorted.

Karishma, who extended her hand to get a hold of her phone, looked back at Haseena puzzled at this sudden change in her mood. "Okay..", she replied meekly, "Ab phone nahi uthaungi toh kaise pata chalega kis liye call kia hai, hai na!"

"Toh uthaiye phone", Haseena's voice was stern. Karishma picked up the call, slightly glancing at Haseena with the corner of her eyes who seemed to be annoyed for some strange reason.

"Ap email kar dijiye, I am going to have a look", Karishma instructed on phone, her demeanor changed into a professional. She was informed that there was some problem with accounts, although small ones but they needed to be checked immediately as they couldn't afford any glitches at this point.

"Kya hua hai?" Haseena asked in a worried tone, observing her changed expression.

"Kuch problem huyi hai accounts mein. Woh solve karni hai", Karishma replied, ending the call as she opened her laptop, sitting on the couch.

"Kal nahi ho sakta yeh sab? Aj ap waise bhi bohut kaam kar chuki hai", Haseena said, being concerned about her health.

"Jyada time nahi lagega", Karishma replied, the eyes focused on the laptop screen. "Tum so jao, it's late anyway", she said, urging Haseena to sleep.

"Nahi sona hai hume", Haseena sat on the edge of the bed. "Neend nahi aa rahi thi hume waise bhi", she said nonchalantly.

"Kyu? koi tension hai?", Karishma asked, shifting her gaze to Haseena.

"Aisa toh kuch nahi hai. Sham tak so rahe the, koi kaam bhi nahi tha toh", Haseena replied with a smile and Karishma nodded her head in an understanding manner. Haseena took a piece of paper from the nearby table and started to sketch something.

As they were occupied in their respective chores, Haseena noticed Karishma letting out a tired yawn. She thought of something as she stood up, tying her hair up with a hair clutch. "Rukiye hum coffee bana dete hai apko", she said, rushing out of the room.

"Rehne do.." Karishma was about to say her work was almost finished but Haseena was long gone. "Is ladki ko kaam karne mein itna kya maza ata hai! Mujhe toh bilkul pasand nahi hai", she said to herself with a confused expression playing in her face. She wrapped up her work in sometimes and followed Haseena to the kitchen.
.
.
.
.
It was past 1 am and along with the residents of the haveli the whole of Rajasthan was already asleep, except for these two. Haseena carefully poured the coffee in a mug and the aroma of the newly brewed coffee filled the air, adding a sense of liveliness to the rather quiet ambience of the night. Karishma with quick strides entered the kitchen and settled herself on the kitchen slab while Haseena's back was facing her.

"Kaam pura ho gaya?" Haseena asked, without turning towards her.

"Haan, yehi batane wali thi mai lekin tumne suni nahi", Karishma replied, swinging her legs like a child. "Anyway, meri coffee?" she asked.

"Sona nahi hai kya? Ab toh kaam bhi khatam ho gayi hai", Haseena looked back at her.

"Woh toh tumhe pehle sochna chahiye tha. Ab mujhe coffee chahiye, bas!" Karishma stated adamantly. Haseena handed Karishma the coffee mug, standing in front of her.