Chapter 22

"Could this day get any worse?", Karishma thought, trying to process the whole situation they were into. Some robbers were encircling them with knives in their hands. Most people of their age would be harmless, unlike them who were addicts.

If Karishma had faced the situation any other time, she would think who she was going to knock down first. She wouldn't care if she had to face a storm alone but today Haseena was with her. She couldn't take any risks with her. What if they harmed her? She couldn't bear any scratches on Haseena.

Haseena pressed Karishma's arm slightly, indicating to keep her calm as she thought the latter was going to fight them. Karishma assured her through eyes and took a deep breath to calm down her nerves and said, "Kya chahiye tumlogo ko?"

"Jo bhi hai tumlogo ke paas bahar nikalo, warna..", one of them tried to scare her off, showing the knife. Little did he know, it was pointless to try to scare Karishma Singh. If it was not for Haseena, he would find himself collapsed to the very ground.

Karishma took out her phone and wallet and handed it over to them. They gestured towards Haseena and she handed them over her earrings. Haseena was relieved as her chain was not visible for the high neck dress she wore, or else she would lose this token of affection she got from Karishma.

"Ab hume jaane do", Karishma tried to get out of this place as soon as possible with Haseena.

One of them probably wanted to let them go but another one stopped him as his eyes went towards something. He gestured something to them and in the blink of an eye they nabbed Haseena, pointing a knife at her. It happened so fast that both Karishma and Haseena were caught off guard.

"Haath mat lagao usse", Karishma screamed as she felt panic gripping her heart. Haseena tried not to freak out and think of something that would help them get out of this mess and suddenly something crossed her mind.

"Bewakoof samajh rakha hai? Bas yeh purani phone aur kuch note thama dia. Woh sone ka bracelet koun dega?", one of the goons pointed to Karishma's wrist.

Haseena nodded her head sideways as no. She wanted to stall them, as the man Karishma called to bring the car would be near. But Karishma wasn't in any mood to think of anything. Already a freaking knife was pointed at Haseena's neck and the fact that she couldn't do anything about it, made Karishma feel useless about her existence.

"Deti ho yaa?", the robber pressed the knife on Haseena's neck, which made her wince in pain. A wave of terror rushed through Karishma's body. She looked at Haseena in desperation, gasping for air which seemed too elusive for her lungs, as she huffed heavily.

"Nahiii..nahii, rukoo", Karishma screamed, gesturing them to stop with her trembling hands. "De rahi hu, sab le lo, bas usse chod do", her vulnerability was very evident in her voice.

Haseena looked at her and again gestured to her not to take it off. But Karishma didn't think twice about taking it off. How could she? Haseena was in trouble and if this bracelet could get her out of it then be it. Even if it was the last gift of her late mother she missed profoundly, still not more important than Haseena's life.

Karishma was about to hand it to them and a siren of a police jeep was heard coming in this direction. The robbers panicked and tried to escape at any cost. But one of them tried to snatch the bracelet while Karishma rushed towards Haseena. Although he couldn't get a hold of the bracelet, it got damaged in the process.

Karishma couldn't be bothered by anything as she pulled Haseena for a bone crushing hug. As if the latter was going to disappear if she didn't hold her this tight, as if she was holding her most precious possession.

"Hasi, tum thik ho? Bohut jyada lagi hai kya?", the shaky words coming from Karishma's mouth expressed her immense concern and love for Haseena.
"Doctor ke paas chalenge yaha.. tum..tum", she felt difficulty in forming words as her voice trembled uncontrollably.

"Karishma", Haseena whispered, rubbing her back, trying to calm her down. "Hume kuch bhi nahi hua hai Karishma", she assured her, slowly breaking the hug.

"Sacchi mein nahi lagi na!", Karishma's lips quivered as her eyes brimmed with tears.

"Dekhiye hume, bilkul thik hai hum", Haseena said, cupping her face between her palms, wiping off her tears. Karishma finally came out of her embrace but still held onto her hand tightly.

"Thakrani sa, aplog thik hai?", a man came running towards them. Karishma recognized him as their driver.

"Ha, hum thik hai", Karishma replied. "Yeh sab?", she asked, gesturing to the police.

"Mai gadi leke araha tha toh sunne mila ki kuch gundo ne samne kisipe hamla kiya hai. Mai ghabra gaya kahi ap logo hi toh nahi jinpe hamla hua. Isliye pehle police ko phone kiya", the driver informed them. "Ap log chinta maat kariye, woh sab pakre jayenge", he assured and Karishma nodded. "Chaliye, gadi waha rakkha hai", he gestured towards the car.

"Chaliye", Haseena said, pulling Karishma's arm.

Karishma rested her head on Haseena's shoulder, encircling her hand around the latter's waist protectively. Haseena moved her thumb on Karishma's cheeks, wiping off the sticky trail of tears lingering there. The cold breeze was caressing their skin, as they took their seat in the lawn, while the silver moonlight enveloped them.

Haseena glanced at the bracelet that was broken at the side of its hook with an upset layer on her face.

"Ap kyun yeh bracelet unhe dene ke liye mann gayi?", she turned her face and asked, guilt-ridden. Karishma looked at her slightly as Haseena continued, "Hume pata hai yeh kitna keemti hai apke liye. Apki mummy ki di huyi tohfa jo ap kabhi apne aap se alag nahi karte."

As she spoke, Karishma moved her head a little from Haseena's shoulder, reaching out to her face which made Haseena gasp. Karishma took her hand to entwine their fingers and kissed a little above her jawline. Haseena closed her eyes, feeling Karishma's lips against her skin, while the latter smiled looking at her.

Oddly enough this incident had cleared the confusion Karishma had been in from the last few days. That moment when Haseena was in danger she realized that she could sacrifice every bloody thing she had just to save Haseena. If she had to choose between Haseena and the world itself, she would still choose Haseena and she wouldn't need to think twice about it. Probably she wouldn't even think of her own life if it came to Haseena.
How very clichèd!, she thought.
Well, cliché or not, it was the truth, the truth Karishma could feel in every fibre of her being. If that's what being in love meant, then nothing could measure the love she held in her heart for Haseena.

"Ha bohut important hai yeh", Karishma spoke looking at the bracelet. "Lekin baat tumhari thi Hasi and you are worth everything", Karishma continued, deeply looking into her eyes, "Mummy ko mai kho chuki hu, bas unki kuch yaadein reh gayi hai. Lekin tumhe mai kisi bhi kimaat par nahi kho sakti. Iss bracelet ke liye bhi nahi."

Haseena looked at her as her heart swelled with affection and gratitude. Her vision was getting blurry with unshed tears and before she could wipe them off, she felt Karishma's cold fingers brushing against her skin, wiping off her tears.

"Aur tumhe pata hai mummy bhi naraz nahi hongi kyunki unhe bhi pata hai mai tumse kinta jyada pyaar karti hu. I will always choose you Hasi and I will choose you over anything, over anyone, every time", Karishma spoke. Her voice was as deep as her feelings, while her eyes demonstrated the sincerity of her words.

Haseena didn't know if it was Karishma's eyes or her words that made her shiver. Something had changed but she couldn't figure out what.

_________________________________________

Hello beautiful people, I hope you all are doing well. Here I am with the chapter 22 of Solace. Do vote, comment and follow to motivate your writer.

See you in the next chapter.