Chapter 18

Karishma looked at the designs for their latest campaign in exasperation. She was supposed to finalize one of those but they were mediocre, actually calling them mediocre would be an understatement. She was already very disturbed with the nonstop battle going on inside her head, after that conversation with Santosh. And these pathetic designs only aggravated the situation. She was like a ticking bomb ready to explode.

"What's wrong with the designs, Amit?", Karishma chided at Amit who was assigned to supervise the campaign.

"Ma'am, we chose the best but..", Amit replied meekly. He was sweating heavily even in an ac room, fearing his boss's wrath.

"Agar yeh best hai toh phir challiya company humara", Karishma remarked sarcastically.

"Sorry mam", he replied lowering his head.

"Apki sorry ka kya karna hai hume! Jaiye jake new recruits mein se koi dhundhiye jo kuch accha designs de sake", Karishma instructed sternly.

"Mam yeh unhi ka diya hua designs hai jinhe recently recruit kiya gaya tha", Amit informed her.

"Toh phir naye log dhundiye. Or are you expecting an invitation for that?", she said furrowing her eyebrows. Amit nodded and turned to leave the room. Suddenly something crossed Karishma's mind, as she smiled.

"Actually don't do anything. I have just the perfect candidate for this", Karishma said and left the room to talk to her father.

In the late afternoon, Haseena went towards the haveli to meet Karishma . Although it's only been a day since she talked to her, she felt like the day had the nth number of hours. She was missing Karishma a lot, her deep eyes, her soft touch, her smile, her presence, everything. The thought that every step she took was taking her closer to Karishma was heartwarming and made her smile ear to ear.

But her smile didn't last long as she was told that Karishma was in the office. Haseena wanted to be happy that Karishma was taking her career seriously but it also disheartened her not being able to see her more often. She thought of getting back home but moved towards Karishma's room instead.

At least this room had her essence, Haseena thought, inhaling the air that was filled with the very familiar scent of Karishma. It was warm and tender just like its owner.

"Hatiye humare raste se", a 16 year old Haseena told a boy who was blocking her way. He was the same age as her but much taller and leaner with his untucked school uniform.

"Tum haan kardo, mai hatt jaunga", the boy said with a smirk.

"Nahi", Haseena replied firmly, standing on the staircase of their school.

"Kyu na bol rahi ho? Ban jao meri girlfriend", he said, taking a step forward towards her.

Haseena looked around and saw some students were looking at her, giving her a smug smile. She was feeling uncomfortable. "Hume nahi banna hai apki girlfriend", she said, trying to get away from him but he stopped her, this time by holding her hand.

"Tum jo aap bolti ho na, isse hi toh ghayal hota hai yeh dil", he said, coming closer to her.

Haseena tried to free her hand but couldn't. Tears started rolling down her cheeks, thinking the whole school was looking at her while she was being humiliated. Suddenly a blow came from behind her and the boy stumbled, taking some steps back.

"Himmat kaise hua tera Hasi ko haath lagane ki", a very familiar voice hit Haseena's eardrums. She looked back only to find Karishma looking at the boy with bloodshot eyes.