Chapter 27: Replacement

Start from the beginning

  Li De smiled. Although he was older with gray hair, the smile was as elegant as ever: "Zhen has never made it difficult for her. What she wants, zhen gives. Now that she wants to marry to the Yelu tribe, zhen agrees."

AD
  Li Xuanzhen looked calm.

  The trouble was indeed stirred up by Zhu Luyun, the person at fault in this matter was Zhu Luyun.

  He was also at fault. He thought Zhu Luyun's earlier fit was in jealousy and let down his guard, not expecting her to actually get involved with the Hu people.

  The only way out today was to do what the Crown Princess said. Since there was no way to prevent the marriage, then they must find a way to save Zhu Luyun.

  Li Xuanzhen emptied his mind and said, "Your Majesty, haven't you ever wondered why the Yelu tribe insisted on marrying Yun niang?"

  Li De's complexion darkened slightly.

  Li Xuanzhen continued, "Your Majesty impressed Chief Yelu with wealth and valuables so that he would bring his sons to the capital to congratulate you. But now, Chief Yelu is deliberately making things difficult for you in order to marry Yun niang, inciting other tribes and exerting pressure on the court. What does Yun niang have that's worth such a big risk for the Yelu tribe?"

  Li De did not speak, his eyes flashing with light.

Li Xuanzhen knew that his purpose had been achieved.

  "Letting Yun niang marry to the Yelu tribe, the risk is too great. If Yun niang allied with the Yelu tribe to attack Chang'an, can Chang'an be defended? Or perhaps, if the Yelu tribe raises an army under the pretense of being the Zhu family's fuma, what will Your Majesty do?"

  Li De frowned.

  Li Xuanzhen said calmly: "Before we thoroughly understand Chief Yelu's purpose, His Majesty best change the candidate for the marriage. As for Yun niang, she is indeed too unaware of the importance of the matter. I will discipline her properly and will never let her appear in front of Your Majesty again."

  Li De mulled it over for a moment and waved his hand for Li Xuanzhen to go out.

  Li Xuanzhen left the Liangyi Hall and immediately went to see Zhu Luyun, who was under house arrest, at the princess's residence.

  The chief historian had been waiting outside the palace gate for a long time, stepping forward to salute him.

  Before he opened his mouth, Li Xuanzhen had already waved his horse whip, kicking up dirt and hurrying away.

The chief historian sighed deeply and quietly.

  ......

  The princess's residence was heavily guarded, three layers of Jin Wu Wei inside, three layers of Jin Wu Wei outside. Even the inner courtyard was full of soldiers.

  Li Xuanzhen walked inside while observing the surroundings. He completely gave up on the idea of snatching Zhu Luyun and quietly sending her away.

  The guards were too dense.

  Zhu Luyun's long hair was draped over her shoulder. Hugging her legs and sitting all night, she cried until both eyes were swollen.

  Li Xuanzhen strode into the inner room, firmly grasped Zhu Luyun's hand, pulled her to her feet, and sternly questioned, "Who encouraged you?"

  Zhu Luyun staggered and raised her face, smiling with tears: "No one encouraged me! I just want to go to get married! I don't want to be entangled with you anymore! I'll marry far away and go to find my aunt. She is my only family in this world, and from now on, you can free yourself of me. I wish you and the Crown Princess loving affection until old age."

  Li Xuanzhen exasperatedly let go of his hand and rubbed his temples, "Yun niang, tell me honestly. What did you exchange with the Yelu tribe? Why do they want to marry you?"

  How could she know the people of the Yelu tribe without someone manipulating the situation behind the scenes?

  Li Xuanzhen did not know what the Yelu tribe's purpose was, but he was certain of one thing: Zhu Luyun had been exploited again.

  She had been a pawn in Li De's hand all these years. Now that she wanted to break away from her fate as a chess piece, she had fallen headfirst into another net.

  He had to stop her. Otherwise, with her nature, how much suffering would she have to eat if she left his protection?

  Zhu Luyun wiped the corner of her eyes: "I don't need you to be concerned about my business!"

  The veins in Li Xuanzhen's forehead jumped: "You really want to marry to the grassland tribe? Do you know that Chief Yelu is already more than sixty years old! They are barbarians, their customs barbaric. The father dies and his sons succeed him. Except for their own mothers, all the other women become concubines of the new chief! They live by water and grass and have no fixed place of residence. When the water and grass are abundant, they can barely eat their fill, but when they can't, they herd horses into the Central Plains and plunder the people. Do you know where their women live? What they eat? What they wear?"

  He had never gone too far in front of Zhu Luyun. After this succession of interrogation, Zhu Luyun was speechless. She sulkily twisted her body, flung herself toward the bed, covered her face and sobbed loudly.

  While crying, she intermittently said: "Don't want your care, don't want you to care! I, Zhu Luyun, from this moment onward, am clearly divided from your Li family! Whether I live or die, it has nothing to do with you!"

  Li Xuanzhen looked at Zhu Luyun, and a deep exhaustion welled up.

  He thought of her mother, the poor woman, unbudgingly pulling on him, her burnt face full of pleading.

  "If I don't care about you, who would?"

  Li Xuanzhen sighed and turned to leave.

  The chief historian, panting and huffing, had finally chased him to the princess's residence, "Your Highness, what did His Majesty say?"

  Li Xuanzhen mounted onto his horse and said with a solemn face, "His Majesty suspects the Yelu tribe. He agreed to replace."

  The chief historian let out a long breath.

  His Majesty had acquiesced, and the next problem was the Yelu tribe.

Who could be sent that would satisfy Tribal Chief Yelu?