Chapter 20: Goes to Battle Again

Start from the beginning

  The wheels rolled, the cart leaving the long street. Xie Qing finished explaining things and turned around to leave.

Du Sinan waited some time and lifted the cart's curtain, looking stiff.

  The coachman advised, "Ah lang, the princess would not harm you. If the princess had not sent someone to wake us up in time, we would have been burned to death! Next time you see the princess, don't be so stiff-faced."

  The princess, with her snowy skin and flowery appearance, like pearls like jade. Just standing there, smiling sweetly, all the flowers in Chang'an would lose their luster.

  Every time he saw the princess, he was so scared that he didn't dare to let out a breath, but Ah lang was so cold to the princess. Really unromantic!

  Du Sinan couldn't figure out what Li Yaoying was trying to do. Neither roping him in nor getting rid of him, but also offering to save him... What medicine was she selling from her gourd?

What exactly does she want?"

  The cart driver asked, "Ah lang, have you not heard the rumors in the capital?"

  Du Sinan frowned: "What rumors?"

  The cart driver sighed and whispered, "People in the capital all say that the Seventh Princess admires your talent, but you are only a commoner without an official position, of humble origin."

  Du Sinan rolled his eyes toward the sky. He was most adverse to people talking about his family background.

  The cart driver knew that his gongzi did not catch onto his hint and shook his head: "Ah lang... Xue wulang and those people all say that the Seventh Princess wants you to be the fuma!"

  Du Sinan's pupils shrank violently, dumb as a wooden chicken.

The next moment, he was like a green shrimp thrown into boiling water, his clean face abruptly becoming blood-red.

  ......

  Xie Qing sent Du Sinan away and returned to the wangfu to report the success.

  Li Yaoying sat cross-legged in front of the veranda, looking down to check the wangfu's accounts. In a light green gauze robe and pomegranate red skirt, her chest was half covered, her supple flesh like snow.

  Xie Qing asked, "Your Highness, why did you save Du Sinan?"

  Yaoying straightened up, rubbing her lower waist. The curling patterned gold bracelet moving on her wrist emitted a light, tinkling sound.

  "No reason. It was merely lifting a finger."

  Everything had not happened yet. She didn't want a person to lose their life because of something that hadn't happened. In her last life, Du Sinan was following orders. In this life, it was impossible for him to gain Li Xuanzhen's trust again. He would not be a threat to Li Zhongqian.

  Yaoying didn't expect Li Xuanzhen to be ruthless in his attack on Du Sinan.

  The Crown Prince in the eyes of the world was not a narrow-minded person. He was easygoing, treated his men well, respected his strategists, and appointed talents without restriction, which was why there were so many high-ranking generals from humble backgrounds who were willing to follow him.

  Why did he hate Noble Consort Xie so much?

  Yaoying was lost in thought for a moment.

  Xie Qing, as usual, stood quietly outside the half-raised curtain of the long corridor, posture straight as a pine.

  Li Zhongqian came back from drinking outside. His feet were unstable, his lapel half open with his honey-colored chest dripping with liquor. He stepped onto the long corridor with one deep step then one shallow step.

  Yaoying asked the maid to bring a sobering cane juice and had him drink it.

  Li Zhongqian walked to her side and sat down next to her. The hem of his broad robe swept over the account books and papers on the table, and the calculating chips fell to the ground with a clatter.

  Yaoying was so angry that she gritted her teeth, slapped his arm away, and tidied up the chips.

  "I have been counting for more than a shichen! Elder brother, please go and sit somewhere else and leave me alone."

  Li Zhongyi was intoxicated, laughing heartily. The more Yaoying disliked him, the more he tried to push himself closer to her.

  Yaoying laughed and pushed him, "Elder brother, you're drunk. Go away and don't bother me."

  Naturally, she could not push the tall and strong Li Zhongqian with her little strength.

  After a while, Li Zhongqian sobered up a bit. He propped himself up on the table with one hand and held a silver bowl with the other, drank a few mouthfuls of cane juice, then turned his gaze on Xie Qing's face and wrinkled his brows.

  "Little seventh. Yesterday, His Majesty summoned me."

  He put down the silver bowl and said softly, without half a trace of expression on his face.

  Yaoying's heart thumped.