Chapter Ten: Namjoon

Start from the beginning

As soon as I spot him, I take a step away from Chae-rin. However, her hand reaches for mine. "Where are you going?" She turns to look at me. "Stay here."

I lean in close to her so only she can hear, "I'm going to talk to Jimin."

"Right now? Just wait." She wraps her arms around my waist. "Let's just hang out and enjoy the rest of this brunch, hm?" Her big eyes, the puppy dog ones that I think she knows I can't resist, look up into mine.

"Okay," I nod.

"Aw, that picture hyung posted is cute," Taehyung says, holding his phone. "You guys look so adorable!"

"Let me see!" Hobi takes his phone. "Aw, you guys look like a couple."

"You're blushing," Jungkook laughs at Chae-rin. "You can blush?"

Chae-rin rolls her eyes. "It was unexpected, okay?"

Ae-ra never had this kind of openness with my friends. Perhaps it's because she came from the outside whereas Chae-rin and I have always been on the inside. It's also probably because I never really brought her around them. I mean, I did, but when my friends and I would have movie nights, karaoke, or just hangout days, Ae-ra always said that she didn't want to intrude. She wasn't rude about it. She was just shy.

"Can you go get me a bubbly with strawberries?" Chae-rin taps my shoulder. "Please?"

"Strawberries to snack on or in your drink?"

"In my drink," she grins.

I nod and make my way to the bar. One last glance back at her and she gives me a wink, causing me to laugh. I didn't think that me getting stuck under a gazebo with her during a downpour would result in us becoming friends. It's funny how things work like that. She has this fierce, tough, exterior, but she is just a big softy at heart. What is that saying? Black cat energy? I guess I'm her golden retriever counterpart.

"Hi," the familiar voice, sounding like honey says. I don't even have to turn around to know it's Ae-ra.

"Hey," I say, facing her.

"You, uh, you look nice, Joonie," she gives me the smallest smile. "And Chae-rin looks beautiful, too."

"Thanks," I reply. I try to ignore my heart fluttering at the nickname, or her small smile. She's just being cordial.

"I just wanted to come over and talk to you. I hope that it's not weird between us. I would very much like us to remain friendly," she says to me.

What does she mean by that?!

"Unless it's weird for Chae-rin," she continues. "You two look good together. I'm glad that you guys are dating."

I try my hardest not to clench my jaw, but what the hell is she doing? Is she doing this on purpose to hurt me? She's basically telling me she's glad I've moved on from her. That is not what I want to hear! "Yeah," I reply dryly. "Thanks. I'm glad that she and I are together too. I actually have to go. This is for her." I hold the glass of champagne up so Ae-ra can see. "It was nice seeing you, Ae-ra."

"It was nice talking to you, Joonie," she smiles.

I walk off and find everyone in the same spot under the white tent. Chae-rin is sitting with Hobi and they're talking about Yoongi hyung's next project as a producer while Taehyung and Jungkook are gobbling up the food. I take a seat next to Chae-rin and wrap my arm around her waist. She jumps slightly, turning to face me.

"Sorry, you startled me," she replies.

"Here's your drink," I hand her the glass.

She takes a quick sip and then leans in so naturally into me as she turns to talk to Hobi again. "My brother hates socializing when he has things due."