Nine.

"It's really all in your swing, watch me." Kyle positioned himself before swinging the golf club.

"Out here showing off again?" a older man walked over to greet Kyle. "He comes to the club to make me look bad every week." Everyone shared a laugh as Kyle responded, "Now I'm teaching my daughter so she can do the same."

India had been at the Country Club with her dad for the past hour and a half learning the basics of golf. She had no idea what she was doing, all she knew is try to get the ball in the hole. She ended up telling Kyle about Florida, and the whole Ja/Aubrey deal. She wanted his input, he always knew just what to say and he always told her when she was wrong.

"So now I'm going crazy trying to figure out what I really want." India finished her spill to her dad.

"If you really loved the first choice, there wouldn't be a second one." Kyle glanced over at her before hitting another ball. "Who's the new guy?"

"His name is Ja. You probably know who he is. He plays for the Memphis Grizzlies."

Striking the next ball, Kyle let out a deep breath before responding. "Yeah, Ja Morant. He's a good player, reminds me of prime AI" There was a pause before he finished his sentence "I don't fuck wit his pops at all."

what? India felt her heart drop a little hearing the words.

"Why not?" She quickly questioned. "What happened?"

"Nothing that you need to be worried about. This was old shit from back in the day when Tee used to be the basketball player."

"Well... was it serious?" She tried getting more information from Kyle. She knew if her dad had a problem with someone, it was, and would always be a problem.

"Serious enough." Kyle responded before packing up his club, heading towards the golf cart. "Come on, we're going to the next hole."

this shit can't be real right now.

India hopped up onto the golf cart before pulling her phone out to text Liyah. Kyle noticed his daughter's immediate shift in mood as he thought to himself for a minute before speaking

"Don't let that cloud your judgement babygirl. My beef is with him, not his son. If that's the route you want to take then take it. Just don't expect no family reunions."

🌚

*DING * The elevator to India's penthouse sounded and in walked Liyah and Ren. "We have fooood" Liyah yelled as she sat everything down on the kitchen counter. "And weed." Ren chimed in.

India made her way downstairs to greet her loud ass friends as they both were already in the kitchen digging in the food.

"We had to come cheer you up, can't have you moping around too much longer." Ren said.

"Thanks y'all. I still can't believe my dad. It's like this man purposely travels the world to find new people to get into some shit with."

"Kane is gonna forever be Kane. You know how your dad is." Liyah said taking a bite of her food.

Kane is her dad's "street name". That's what everyone knew him as. He stopped going by "Kyle" when India's mom passed, so throughout her childhood, India grew up being "Kane's daughter".

"That's the problem! "Kane" India made air quotations with her fingers. "I never cared about anything he's done, I know it's all for a reason. I just hope that whatever beef he had with Ja's dad wasn't that deep." India sighed before unlocking her phone and going to find the text thread between her and Ja.