Suspicion

Zoe's POV

I got out from under the bed. I turned on the light to see the hunter leader clearly. "Who let you in?" I asked him. "Get the fuck off me" said the hunter as Ryker had him down. "You aren't going anywhere but my dungeon where you'll be tortured and die very slowly" said Ryker. The hunter was squirming. "I don't think so. You don't even know what's coming for you. You and that dragon bitch" said the hunter. I gritted my teeth and kicked the hunter in the balls. Ryker holds his head up after he drops to his knees. "Call her a name again and I'll rip your balls off" threatened Ryker. The hunter covers his balls with his hands and winces in pain.

The hunter pushes against Ryker again, desperate to get free. Ryker elbows him in the kidney. "The rope Zoe" said Ryker as he made the hunter cry in pain again. I grabbed the rope that was stashed in his drawer. I tie the hunter up myself as the hunter grunts in pain. Once I pull away Ryker puts a sock in his mouth and stands up next to me. "We executed the plan perfectly," I said. "Now all that's left is for the hunter to tell us which of my dragons snuck him into my house," said Ryker. Hearing the commotion the rest of the flight rushes in. "what happened?" asked Matysa. He looked worried and shocked about what he saw before him.

"A dragon hunter snuck in here and tried to kill us," said Ryker. "Are you sure he's not working with Zoe?" asked Matysa. He gave me glare from across the room. "I'm positive. We were awake when he entered" said Ryker. "I would never harm Ryker," I said. We all hear grunting behind us. "I'll tell you nothing. You may as well kill me now" said the hunter. Ryker walks towards him. "I'm going to enjoy torturing you," said Ryker. Matysa grabs the rope and leads the hunter into the foyer. Suddenly the hunter lunges for Matysa, knocking him over.

With his teeth the hunter turns his head and rips into his shirt. He then swallows a pill. "Stop him" I yell. Ryker lunges for the hunter but it's too late. Foam forms in his mouth as he convulses. Moments later the hunter is dead. "Fuck" said Ryker angrily. We were so close. "Take his body away to the basement. I want double security at every entrance. We have a traitor in our flight. Someone let that hunter into our house" announced Ryker. Gasps move through the room. Ryker turns to the rest of his flight and you can tell he's wondering which one is the traitor. Ryker was just as pissed off about losing that hunter instead of getting what we needed from him. It was almost all a waste.

"You all need to be on the lookout. Someone we all trust is betraying us and when I find the traitor who had me kidnapped and just tried to have me killed I'll rip each of your limbs off. Everyone get back to bed now" threatened Ryker. Everyone quickly leaves his presence. I follow behind him cautiously. Ryker stomps into the bedroom with me right behind him. I was just as angry as he was. "Coward now we'll never know who he was working with" I said, closing the door roughly. Ryker growls as he punches a hole in the wall. I don't miss the other holes from when he's previously lost his temper. He was losing control of himself fast.

Ryker's POV

Anger courses through me that someone dared try to kill me in my own house. They might have succeeded had Zoe not warned me. I would have been killed without her. I was trying to calm myself down. It was hard to decrease my rage. The hunter was right there alive. He was right there in front of me and now he is dead. My fist is scratching in pain but I don't care. I just needed to breathe. I couldn't believe how close I was to the truth. My traitor was here.

I let out a sigh as I turned to Zoe. Her red hair falling off her shoulders. Her long hair and now at her back. She comes next to me knowing how bad I needed this break. I needed that hunter alive. Zoe gives my arm a comforting rub. Soon I melted at her touch. She had this power over me. She had the same look on her face when she was worried. I knew it was about me. I was fighting my own battles every time I saw someone. It wasn't easy to hold back anymore. I turn to look down at her again. How far do I let our truce go? I couldn't even answer that.

Zoe has proven trustworthy so far but soon she's going to take back her flight. It was hard to think of that. My stomach clenches when I think about her going back to her flight. I would have learned the truth if the hunter was alive and she would be gone. I didn't want that just like the first time the chains came off. She was my chained dragon. We were chained together for a reason. I called us that because we are chained to each other dragons. I didn't want her to leave. I try to ignore the feeling because I would do what it takes to keep her here with me.

Zoe's POV

"We'll find them Ryker. It's only been a day" I said as I hugged him. My arms were around his neck as he relaxed within my arms completely. I knew the thought of it stung him. Ryker's hands clench and unclench with tension. "I hate looking at my flight with suspicion" whispered Ryker in my ear. "Have you noticed anyone acting differently than before you were kidnapped?" I asked him. We still stayed hugging each other in the middle of the room. "No. everything seems normal which bothers me even more" said Ryker as he shakes his head on my shoulder. I held him tighter. Was this really going to turn out harder then it seemed?