Loyalty

Zoe's POV

I look at Conner not believing how cruel my stepmother was. "I'm going to kill Emily and take back our flight" I say angrily. How dare she do this to my flight and father's friends. They were my family and she had to pay. "You have our full support," said Conner. He looked at me with relief. Conner's eyes widen as he takes a step closer to me. "With your father dead you're not the dragon leader of our flight" said Conner. He was connecting the dots.

"Look at me. I'm chained to our enemy. I'm in no position to lead anything right now" I said, telling him the truth. Conner looks up at Ryker with disdain. The guards from my flight tense ready to fight. "I just saved your life by releasing you. Right now the fight is outside, not with me" said Ryker intensely. I could already tell this wasn't going to be easy. "The fight is whenever we decide it is," said Conner. "Conner, Ryker's been a prisoner this whole time too. We've tried to break the chains but nothing works" I explain to calm down the guys.

Conner grabs an from behind a desk. He tries to break the chain with it. He swung it multiple times but it didn't even chip. "See, she was telling the truth. It wouldn't break" chuckled Ryker darkly. "We could always cut off his hand. Then you'd be free. It won't take but a second" said Conner, tightening his grip on the ax. Ryker pushes Conner and grabs the ax out of his hands. "Threaten me again and I'll cut your head off" growled Ryker. I couldn't let this go on.

"Conner, Ryker's been helping me. He's not to be touched" I said calmly. Conner wants to argue but he backs down instead. Ryker gives me a small nod of thanks before he turns to Conner. "I'm not coming after you Conner. I swear I won't harm Zoe" said Ryker. Suddenly a dragon flies by shooting fire at the jail. The cells erupt with flames. "We need to get to the forest. The trees will hide us" I call as all the dragons start running out of the jail. "Wait, I refuse to accept anyone but you as the leader of the Black Sun flight" said Conner. I looked at him shocked.

To my surprise Conner gets down on his knees and puts his hand over his heart. His guards follow suit. "Zoe, I pledge my life and my loyalty to you" said Conner. I looked at all of them with happiness in my heart. "Long live Zoe. Our dragon leader" said Conner and his guards. Conner and my guards show their loyalty and humbles for me. I swallow back tears as the fire burns around me. They stand and face me. "It's your birthright Zoe" said Ryker as he placed his hand on my shoulder. I couldn't believe all of this was happening. I was a true dragoness.

"Thank you everyone. I'm honored to be your dragon leader. I accept your loyalty" I said feeling proud. I drop to my knees following our great tradition. I put my hand over my heart. I was promising more of what I am. I could never break this pure bond to my flight. I pledge them my loyalty in return. I watched on their faces how proud they were. The flight will have their rightful leader soon. I stood up and it sealed. "Now let's go to the forest," I said.

"The fire is spreading" I said as more dragons ran away. We follow the rest outside. Everyone hides against the side of the jail/ Conner and his guards are right on our heels. Dragons fly overhead hunting for me. "Conner, can you shift?" asks Ryker. Conner and the other dragons all shake their heads with anger. "No. The humans made us drink this elixir potion thing. Now none of us can shift into our dragons, I hope it's not permanent" said Conner. "You're still a dragon no matter what. We'll find a way to get your dragons back" I said to them.

"I don't recognize any of the other dragons besides Noah's," said Ryker. This could possibly be a good thing. "Which means they may not recognize us," I said, kind of relieved. Ryker's jaw tenses as he peeks his head around the jail toward the forest. "The dragons have moved west. We have a clearing" said Ryker. We snake out from behind the jail together. My flight followers behind us. A group of hunters run out from different buildings fleeing toward the forest.

They were doing it to get to safety. The woman from earlier spots us and sees our chains. "You dragon bitch. You're the cause of all of this" she yelled. "Shut up, they're going to hear you," said Ryker angrily. "Good, I want them to hear me. They said they'd leave us once they had her" she said. I was really wishing that I had killed her earlier. "You're really stupid if you believe that" I glared at her. She chuckled and said "I believe you deserve to die." She was revengeful.

Suddenly the dragon turns back and starts flying back toward us. "Hey" she yelled, getting its attention. "Damn she's going to get us all killed," said Ryker through gritted teeth. I quickly elbow the woman in the face and knock her out. She falls to the ground unconscious. "Nice hit Zoe," said Ryker, impressed. But it's too late, the dragon flies straight for us. It's snarling from above. "Faster" yelled Ryker. He takes my hand leading me toward the forest once again.

The dragon shoots fire at you. Ryker pulls me to the left as the fire just barely misses my head. I pull out my knives and throw them at the dragon. "Aim for behind his ear" said Ryker. He pulls out his gun and shoots. The dragon turns before the bullets or knives can get him. "Hey over here," said Conner. He runs past us trying to draw the dragon's attention. I couldn't believe how we were able to stay alive this long with only human strength. Were we going to get out alive?