Chaper 54

Josie's P.O.V.

I watched from above as the two sides clashed. Landon's group was first, then Luna and Greyson's from the left and Eli with everyone else last.

The first shots rang from the hunters while wolves and bears clawed their way through the sides of the enemy to surround them. Luna and Greyson stood side by side to protect each others backs, biting and slashing savagely at any hunter within reaching distance . Eli was creating balls of energy which he lobbed at the hunters as fast as he possibly could as the witches opposite him targeted the shifters with their strange potions.

That's where I needed to go first. I needed to take out those witches; they were the most dangerous right now.

Of course they were in the middle of the lines though, so getting to them would prove to be difficult if I wanted to catch them by surprise. They would be ready for any animal - even flying was getting difficult as their archers shot up into the sky to avoid any possible spies. Like me. Our best bet was Charlotte, who might be able to create an illusion long enough to get through, except I couldn't find her anywhere in the battlefield. Maybe that was the point.

As I flew to the edges of the trees to appear less suspicious I looked for any tell-tale shimmering or wavering in the air as well as people or things appearing and disappearing randomly. I didn't spot anything for a good while which merely solidified my resolve to find her.

It wasn't until I saw a couple of bullets aimed at a group near me stop that I was able to pinpoint her location. I flew into the trees to shift then rushed out and called out to her. She didn't appear to me right away but I could see her making her way closer to me by watching hunters drop from a seemingly invisible force.

When I was sure she was beside me I pulled her away from the fighting just long enough to explain my plan to her. She dropped the illusion quickly so that I could see her reaction then she turned back to the field, me following closely at her heels so that I would be included in the illusion as she threw it up around us.

The two of us moved swiftly to a less guarded, more disorganized side of the hunters, where they would be less likely to notice a comrade falling over or someone brushing past them. Charlotte and I weaved through the group as fast as we could, trying our best not to push anyone. It was hard to restrain myself from grabbing my knife to stab the hunters around me, but I managed since, not only would it make our presence known and ruin our mission, it would also be suicide since they completely surrounded us here and we had no back up. This was a terrible plan... It was too late to turn back though. We were only a couple of yards away from the witches. They were all standing together in a crowd at the center of all of the hunters, so that they were protected at all times. Except they hadn't counted on the fact that someone may be able to slip through the hunters. Should have been better prepared my friends.

A smile slid across my face as we finally got to the witches. They had potion bottles laying all over the ground. I felt a strange sense of giddiness fill me as I picked one up, making it disappear before throwing in at the feet of a couple of witches too busy throwing their own potions to realize what I was doing. Disgust took the place of my previous emotion as I watched the contents of the bottle explode and cover the witches, then melt them, literally. Oh the irony.

After the little melting thing, I decided it would be better to use my elements to dispose of the horrible concoctions, diluting them with water or burning them up in the bottle - which did cause a couple of explosions. That's how the hunters were alerted to our presence. Sure, a couple of glasses breaking can be put off as clumsiness, but potions exploding in their bottles? Not so much.

My stomach dropped to the ground when hunters and witches turned to look in the direction Charlotte and I were standing. I knew the exact moment they realized what was happening. Their eyes lit with understanding, smirks crossed their faces and their jaws clenched.

The remaining potions were picked up as they readied themselves to throw them. I let my powers flow through me as I moved into a defensive position. Charlotte didn't drop the illusion, but it wouldn't be hard to find me after I started using the elements.

I lashed out just as the potions were thrown. At least they wouldn't be able to hurt anyone else now...