Chapter 45

Side: Dress
------------------------------
Mary's P.O.V:
I look around the gymnasium. The committee did well decorating it. There are black and white streamers hanging from the ceiling, a fake chandelier in the middle above the dance floor, and mirrors lining the walls, making it look like a ballroom that we hear about all the time in stories. Students are clustered around the tables talking to friends in their fancy ball gowns and tuxes. A handful are on the dance floor dancing to some kind of techno music that the dj is playing. They look like absolute fools but hey who am I to judge, I'm not much better. I notice my sister, Shannon, in her short white lace dress that's so small her chest is falling out of it surrounded by her posse in the middle of a cluster of tables. I look for someone I know and like to talk to, and see a few guys that are from the Anderson group in the corner to the left of me. What were their names again... Oh right, Landon and Max. The other guy I've seen around school but was never told his name. I start walking over to them but stop when my sister calls my name. I look over at the guys and sigh, turning around I see Shannon standing up with her hand on her hip.

"No one wants to see your chest, sis. Next time cover it up," She says, her followers cackle. I look down at my simple mint colored strapless dress with a sweetheart neckline.

"Well at least my butt isn't playing peek-a-boo," I say. Before she could reply someone

says something behind me.

"Ah look, she's wearing her pajamas," Josie says, looking at me and Brooke.

"I wouldn't say that. I would say she found her preschool clothes," Brooke replies. Josie nods.

"Poor girl obviously couldn't find a dress that fit. We should pity her." Josie turns to me.

"Shame on you for not offering to help your growing sister." The three of us laugh and watch as Shannon's face turns red from anger and embarrassment.

"Well at least I've got something to flaunt, unlike you guys," she finally sputters out.

"HA! That's funny," Brooke gasps out, wiping away fake tears with a finger. "Hahaha, flaunt, like the boys want to see you walking around commando." Shannon huff, stomps her foot like the four year old she is, and walks away. I turn to the twins and smile.

"You two are the best," I say.

Brooke smiles and says "We know."

"Hey, is it okay if I hang with your group?"

"Sure, I don't think the others would mind. They love talking to you," Josie says.

We start walking to the rest of the group. Instantly we're surrounded by the chatter of the group. I didn't feel at all like I wasn't part of their group. They've been going back in forth from the dance floor to the corner. Making fun of some of the people who are drunk, who as the sluttiest dresses, and how some of the slutty girls are jumping on any guy that comes 10 feet to them- even Logan, Asher, and Eli and everybody knows they are taken. Are they seriously that stupid?! And the worst part is Shannon was the one that went after Asher. I'm going to kick her ass later on. It's been an hour since I've gotten to the dance and I still haven't moved from my spot. Right now Luna, Blair, Greyson, Landon, and a boy who's name is Keiran are the only ones not on the dance floor. I swear every single one of them has a date to this dance but won't admit that they're together. The pairs are slowly making themselves known; when one girl leaves a guy will always follow. I wish I had someone like that.

As if catching my train of thought, Landon looks up at me and smiles. On second thought, I don't think I mind being single...