Chapter 46

Top: Rhythm of Love by Plain White T's

----------------------------

Josephine's P.O.V:

I felt like a princess in my purple gown and I love it. Which is pretty amazing because, like my sister, I would much rather dress in a pair of yoga pants and a sweatshirt than a flowy skirt or dress.

Eli hasn't stopped smiling and laughing with me and I feel like the most important girl in the world. Right now, it doesn't matter if a battle is approaching and hundreds of people are going to be looking (which I still don't understand at all. How the heck do they know us?) only that I'm in my soulmate's arms on a beautiful night.

I didn't spend much time on the dance floor since, let's be honest, I'm a terrible dancer, but Eli stayed by my side trying to get me to dance by the tables anyway. He's so sweet, and it's a shame that we've only begun to acknowledge each other as more than friends at such a horrible time. Shame on me for being so stupid and waiting.Shannon and her groupies bounced their way over to our group a few minutes after my silent scolding.

"Hey Asher, Eli," she purred, purred! at them, trying to grab onto Asher's arm and sidle up to him. Which did not go over so well with my sister; she nearly bursts on the spot But there was nothing to worry about, Asher handled the situation pretty well.

"Hello Shannon, I see you're having trouble seeing, since you obviously grabbed the wrong dress out your closet, couldn't put your makeup on right, and missed my beautiful date standing next to me. Why don't I call your date so that he can come and get you before you hurt yourself?" Shannon's eyes widened once again while the rest of us stared at Asher for a few seconds before grins spread across our faces and tried to suppress our laughter. We were all surprised though; Asher is one of the nicest guys you could possibly meet.

Our group stood around for almost half an hour, talking and laughing. It wasn't until one of my favorite slow songs came on that I was forced onto the dance floor. Brooke grabbed Eli and motioned to the floor, then linked arms with Asher and went over herself. Eli gave me a devilish smile before grabbing me, more like picking me up, and followed them.

"You know, Josie, the point of going to a dance it to dance," he teased as I struggled to get away. "It's more awkward when you're trying to get away."

"Do you have any idea how creepy that sounds?" He laughed and pulled me closer. Sighing, I relaxed into him. He was right, as much as I hated to admit it, plus I liked dancing with him.

The two of us swayed back and forth even after the song finished. I felt like if time stopped right now I wouldn't notice. I want to be stuck in this moment forever.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. When the dance was winding down, we filed out of the gym and into our respective cars. I walked with Eli, our hands laced together. He opened my door for me then slid into his spot behind the steering wheel of his car. I sighed again, taking a deep breath and closing my eyes.

"What's wrong Jose?" Eli asked, looking over at me worriedly. "Nothing, I'm just glad we got a few hours to have fun," I said, leaning over so that I could rest my head on his shoulder. "And I'm tired." He laughed and started the car. With my eyes still closed I reached over to turn on the radio and we spent the drive home compatible silence.

For the first time in a while, I felt completely peaceful, the music on low and my favorite person -besides my sister of course- next to me.

We arrived at my house after about half an hour and just sat in the car for a few minutes. Brooke and Asher were inside the house saying goodnight and everyone else was already home but neither one of us wanted to leave. Not yet. So we sat there until Asher left and Brooke came out in her pajamas.

She knocked on the window and I rolled it down, looking at her with tired eyes. "Come on Josie, you need to get changed and into bed, tomorrow is going to be a big day," she urged gently. I nodded mutely and turned to Eli.

"Thanks for going with me to the dance," does this count as a date? "and spending the night with me, and making me dance. I had a lot of fun." I leaned over and gave him a quick kiss, glad that the darkness hid my blushing face. "Goodnight Eli, I'll see you tomorrow." Eli looked at me, dazed, before smiling. I ducked out of the car and waved as he pulled out of the driveway and down the road.

"Awww! You two are so cute!" Brooke squealed. The small smile I was sporting never left my face as I turned on my heels and walked into the house, Brooke trailing after me. "My little Josephine is all grown up," she crooned. I rolled my head over to her as I walked into my room, taking my heels and gown off at the same time.

"Brooke, could you please shut your trap," I groaned, sliding on a pair of sweatpants.

"You know you love me."

"Mhmm, whatever. Night." I threw myself on the bed and closed my eyes. Brooke walked away into her room across the hall. It took less than two minutes for sleep to take me and I fell into my sweet dreams.