Zain

TW: Graphic depictions of death.

Word Count: 2.8k

Blaze was my best friend from the very beginning, from the moment I was forced to become the soldier I never wanted to be up until a week or so ago. We'd been through a lot together, the vigorous training, the painful missions and wrongful deaths we inflicted upon innocent people, the consolations he'd give me when I was having a bad day, a nightmare, a crisis, anything and he was there, right by my side through it all. His infectious laughed filled my mind, all the stupid jokes he'd tell me when I was having an exceptionally horrible time, or the way his smile brightened up any room he walked into, instantly lifting the mood. He would always tell me it would be okay when I would sob about who I was becoming, he would always hold my hand or give me a hug when the hurt in my heart grew too large, and he would always tell me he wished the best for me, no matter the circumstances. 

So why was he right here, standing before me with an evil grin, his finger itching to pull the trigger at one of the few people I have grown to love? Why would he force me to make this choice? Between someone I had once considered a friend and the man that slowly began to chip at the iron walls surrounding my heart? My gun slowly trailed up to Blaze's head, tears welling in my eyes as I did so. Blaze looked hurt, but there was no surprise evident on his face. His expression began to morph from something evil to the look he had given me when I first met him. The look that told me he understood, that everything would be okay. "Zain..." I whispered, my voice choking up as I stared at him, my vision becoming blurred by tears.

Blaze smiled at me, the same lopsided smile that promised me he'd always be by my side thick and thin, that he'd do right by me now and the eternities to come. "Y/n..." he whispered back, tears welling in his own eyes. My gun didn't falter, the barrel still pointed directly at his skull, right between his eyes. A fatal shot, a quick death, the demise of my former best friend, of Blaze, of Zain. The man before me didn't match the person who had killed the Shadow behind me, who had shot Soap, who had a gun pointed to Ghost's head, he looked like a little kid, brought into this world for the sole purpose of death and destruction, something he never wanted much like I didn't. But he had a choice when I had none. The difference between me and him.

Slowly, I took a step closer to him, the rifle in my hands shaking. "Y/n, just come with me," he begged, tears streaming down his cheeks. My eyebrows furrowed, my feet taking a step back, keeping us at the same distance as before. "I can't," I mumbled, shaking my head, "I won't." The missile was in its final stages, I knew that for certain, time was running out. Blaze's face contorted with anger, "How could you betray us Y/n? Betray me?" He blubbered out, his voice wavering. "Especially with what you're hiding," he whispered lowly, a sickening smile returning back to his mouth, becoming the man who wouldn't hesitate to put a bullet through Ghost's head, my head. He was no longer who I thought he was. Or maybe that idea I had of him was never true, that he had always been this way. Maybe the veil covering my eyes had been lifted, maybe I had been blinded by friendship, by my own naive stupidity.

My gaze followed Blaze's finger as it inched closer to the trigger, the barrel aimed at Ghost. Tears started to stream down my face as I mimicked his actions ever so slowly. "TEN SECONDS! GET OFF THE FUCKING RIG! GET OFF OF IT NOW!" A voice screamed through the comms, my mind was too occupied by what was about to take place before me to try and figure out who it was. Maybe Blaze would understand like he always said he would, maybe everything would be okay like he'd promised me. Not in this lifetime perhaps, but maybe the next. Maybe I'd find him in the stars, not in burning pits of ash and fire where I knew he'd be, where he was destined to be. A singular tear rolled down my cheek as Blaze was about to pull the trigger to his rifle, his eyes never leaving mine, I squeezed my own trigger, letting out a shaky sob a the bullet soared through the air, my lids clenching shut, tears pouring from my closed eyes.