Life Saver

Word count: 2.9k

Slowly, my body began to sink lower and lower into the deep depths of the vast blue water, the wet substance coating the inside of my esophagus, burning my chest as it found its way into my strained lungs. Bubbles of air escaped my lips, floating their way to the surface, popping the moment they make impact with the chilly wind atop the sloshing waves. My eyes remained shut, my mind not even processing what was going on. How stupid is this? Not knowing how to swim. What a pathetic way to die as a grown adult. 

A loud splash sounded out from next to me, the impact of the large figure hitting the water reverberating around my sinking form. The sonorous sounds of frantic swimming and yells calling out my name were drowned out from the water rushing in my ears. My chest started to tighten, my body beginning to thrash as my eyes shot open. My blurred vision wildly darted around, I was surrounded by darkness. My limbs flailed every which way beneath the water, desperate for someone to save me, desperate for air to find its way back into my body. 

Tears from my eyes intermingled with the salty sea of water engulfing my entirety, loud screams erupted from my throat, unheard of from the people above me as the noise became lost in the water, trapping my pleas and cries underneath its surface, trapping me underneath its surface. My vision began to darken once again, my writhing form becoming nothing more besides a few twitches from my extremities. When my eyes fluttered shut for the last time, two large hands gripped beneath my underarms, dragging my unconscious body back up to the surface. 

"Y/n!" A deep British voice boomed in my ear, "Fuckin' wake up... cmon, WAKE UP!" My head lolled downwards, water dribbling from the corners of my mouth, cascading down my wet features. "Fuck, cmon, please," the British voice pleaded again. The two large hands once holding me up by my upper body found their way around my lower abdomen quickly, the muscles of the man's arms keeping me in place rippled against my body. The burly fists attached to those strong arms began to pound into my stomach, one time, two times, three times.

Water shot out of my mouth as my eyes widened. Four times. More water escaped my throat followed by loud, hacking coughs. My entire body trembled, exhaustion looming over my weakened form. My head began to feel heavy, sagging down in front of my chest once again. "Please just... stay with me," the British voice behind me whispered again, the syllables in their words wavering. Slowly blinking my eyes, I managed to lift my head up ever so slightly. My lungs burned along with just about everything else on my body.

A deep, gruff sigh of relief emerged from the lips of whoever held me from behind. Confusion still overshadowed my mind, drowning will definitely do that to a person. The hands holding me up by my waist begin to turn my body around, my eyes lazily following the movement before widening once they came in contact with Ghost's masked face. Was this hell? "Ghost?" I mumbled, my voice hoarse. "No, the fuckin' boogeyman," he grumbled in return, his once soft features quickly hardening in just mere seconds. Or maybe I was just imaging things and they were never soft to begin with. My eyebrows furrowed as I soaked up his visible features in front of me. Why would he save me? After I almost got his best friend killed? After I betrayed him. Opening my mouth to speak again, I was cut off by a wide eyed Soap.

A huge grin formed across his lips once he realized I'd be okay, "Had me worried for a second there lass," he joked, eyeing me up and down. This was all so confusing. He had almost died because of me, and he was worried about my wellbeing? I don't deserve these people. My lips pressed together as I gave a half assed smile in return. Ghost's arms never left from around my body, his strong grip keeping me above the water. "Not judging ya or anything but... how the fuck do you not know how to swim?" He asked, followed by a light chuckle. My eyes narrowed down at him, "Maybe because I don't like swimming," I bit back. The smile never left his face, "Glad almost drowning didn't take away your feisty spirit," he joked.